CHAPTER 12 - TO HELICOPTERS AND FAKE MARRIAGE

Willows pov

Me and Evelyn are now sitting in the doctor's office; we rushed here after she hit her head on that table. I was holding an ice pack on her head, and she was looking at the floor sadly.

"Owch." Evelyn mumbles. "Oh, quit being such a baby." I laugh, and she looks up at me angrily. "Stop pressing on the ice pack so hard, then." She smiles sadly. Her face was all bloody and bruised, and her eyes were watery from holding in her tears.

"I'm not! If I were any more gentle, it would be on the floor. And if I were any meaner, you would still be on the floor." I smile. After she fell, her family just kind of left her. Violet ran over but couldn't really do anything on her own, so I went over and helped.

"I was winning." She sighs and looks up at me again. She looks kind of sad now like she regrets everything that happened. "Were you Evelyn? Were you really winning? Because what I saw was two grown women brawling like teenagers, and all I see now is an avoidable bruise alongside a bruised ego." I asked, but before she could answer, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Evelyn shouts, and her mom walks in. She looks over at me before speaking. "Both girls were cleared. Aside from the minor bruising, they are both good to go." Melissa smiles at me before walking over to Evelyn and looking at her bruises. "Unfortunate." Evelyn mumbles.

"I did not raise you to act like this, Evelyn Rena Montgomery! So get your butt in the car without another word!" Mellissa snaps, I never knew Evelyn had a middle name. "Mo-" Evelyn tries to speak but quickly gets interrupted: "I said not another word! Go!" She snaps again.

Evelyn walks out of the room in a strop, and her mom is still standing, staring at me. "Willow, would you please sit between them in the car?" Melissa asks, I really don't want to do that; it will be very awkward. "Uh, I'd rather-" I try to speak, but now I get interrupted. "Willow, please?" Melissa begs.

I've never seen her like this—her hair dishevelled, bags under her eyes, and an air of sadness only an exhausted mother could exclude. I felt kind of bad. "Alright." I agree and turn towards the door. "Thank you, Willow." She smiles, and we both walk outside.

As we get to the car, Evelyn is standing at the side waiting for me to get in, and she and Camilla keep giving each other mean looks. I climb into the car and sit next to Camilla, who is holding an ice pack to her nose. Evelyn then gets in next to me and rests her hand on mine.

So, this is what it's really like to have older siblings. Shoulder to shoulder with lightning rods of tension and oppressive body heat that could melt the winter snow. A grunt of pain for Evelyn when a bump in the road irritated her wound; a hiss from Camilla when she instinctively crinkled her split nose when the heater tickled it.

"Your father is going to have a word with you two when we arrive home," Melissa says she didn't even turn to face them when she spoke. "That isn't necessary." Evelyn sighs, and I feel her hand tense slightly. Her wound starts slightly bleeding again, so I grab a tissue from my pocket and hold it on the wound. Evelyn smiles at me. "For once, we agree on something," Camilla replies, and Melissa suddenly turns to face them. "That was not a choice!" She snaps.

*time-skip to them back at home*

We arrived home a few minutes ago, and Evelyn's father called them both into his office. I was now walking around the house, trying to find where it was to listen in.

I am looking around and end up bumping into one of the waiters, Darius. He had medium-length brown hair that was tied up in a bun and light green eyes. He was working here to support his ill mother; he was always on the phone checking up on her.