16. Shattered

Sarah

____

The next morning I find Tyler standing before my door when I exit to leave for another job hunt.

Crashing into him right after making love to Daniel overwhelmed me.

I couldn't let anyone know of my doing. I preach about life and the right ways to live it. Here I am, falling for an engaged man.

I want to hide it from everyone and mostly forget it for the sake of my sanity.

We, Tyler and I broke up because he chose to work for the same company that got away with hundreds of death due to polluting the river with its toxic waste.

I remember his crusade against the pharma company for polluting the river that was nurturing the small community. But once he got out of college and couldn't pay his bills and education loans, he went ahead and joined them among their band of lawyers defending its atrocities.

We had to end it. Our alliance was during the campaign when I write about the company and he protested against it.

We stood on the other side later and it ended. It had to.

It was after all a fight of morals.

But what am I doing now?

Fucking an engaged man.

"Hey, " he calls me and brings me out of my misery.

I judge people too soon when I am no different.

He had bills to pay. Why am I into breaking another man's marriage?

I look away.

"Sarah." He calls me.

I look at his handsome face. Earlier all I saw was a coward who had no values. Now I see myself in his face- a conflicting immoral woman.

Maybe I am always wrong.

"What are you doing here, Tyler?" I ask him.

"I have found you a beautiful place. Everything is set up. I made a few calls and got confirmation for two job interviews. What's great is that they want what you fight for Sarah. You are going to rock. " He says smiling at me.

Holding my hand he leads me towards his car and opens the door for me. "Come, hop in."

"You look beautiful, by the way." He smiles at me.

I surge with emotion and in no time a streak of tears falls down my cheek.
It's everything.

My doings these days.
My career.
My love life.

Everything.

"I don't deserve any of it," I say to him as he embraces me.

____

Tyler looks at me in turmoil. He appears to have so much on his mind. Meanwhile, I take my time to look at the handsome face that I loved. That I adored.

Thinking back, I am assured it was the two things that bound me to him. First, his morals about the way of life and love towards humanity and second, the way he wanted for me.

Right now, he is taking care of me.

I can't bring myself nonetheless I accepted the job offer I got from the small publication through Tyler. This press published articles to spread awareness and campaigns against the evils of the world.

I am happy that I will be valued at this place. Even though the pay will be meagre, I know I will be happy doing what will benefit humanity.

"Why don't you eat, Sarah?" He asks me extending his hand and putting it over mine.