13. No expectations there

CHAPTER - 13
__

NO EXPECTATIONS THERE
__

SARAH

__

"I am not sure about it," I say as I watch him take a shameless tour of my, umm, Carl's room.

The stack of neatly kept books on the upper deck of the showcase has kept his eyes right now. At present, he is rubbing the edges of Wuthering Heights.

What is he thinking about it?

"I assume you have lines of opportunity awaiting, " he stares at me with full concentration.

"I have. Some. " I lie.

Did I tell him earlier I was jobless and desperately searching for it?

I guess. I did.

Maybe I didn't.

"You better have. I don't like the idea of such a woman of impressive choice remaining jobless another day." He says and smiles back at me.

I immerse myself in those dimples and shine on his blue eyes for a few seconds. It vanishes as he waits for my answer. I compose myself.

"Well, I am awaiting the results of some interviews. I had them this week. " Oh hell, that's too much.

I grimace. If I kept talking anything more about my work, I will only entice disgrace. I hope he doesn't ask about my previous jobs.

Why would he? I am nuts.

" You will certainly get the one you want." He says and looks at me. There is an awkward silence. I seem to have nothing to speak while he looks like holding so much back.

Was he as affected as I am?

"I can only hope. " I say and turn away. It would be so wrong if I kept on and appreciated his beautiful face. I wonder why does he affect me when I don't know him personally.

It's just infatuation.

So can I at least try to know him? What will it mean anyway?

He is committed.

"Well, you know you can approach me too. " I hear him.

I look at him.

Approach him?

"For job, I mean. Not that you won't get whatever you have applied for but by any chance, if we, our company, attract you more than the one you get, you know." He presses his lips between his teeth and gazes at me in bewilderment.

I can tell he is thinking and I wish I can hear him.

I only gaze at him trying to decipher him. He seems equally unsure of what he said.

What can I say?
How can I be any near to you?

Oh, I don't.

First off, your company is sought after, and second I should stay away from you.

"Are you offering me a job?"

He abruptly finds a hold of the doubts he had and speaks up in excitement. "If you would consider I am." I only laugh and look crazy.

Damn. I resolve to keep away from him and he found me and offering a job.

What will become of us?

"Thank you. I will consider." I simply put it as if I have got the lines of opportunity awaiting me. The jokes are always on me.