21. Delicate Affair

Daniel

After Sarah escaped from the back door, I made my way to the front entrance. But I didn't forget to ruffle my hair and open the few buttons of my shirt that I put on. Neither I can let on that I had a woman in the house, nor that I am hiding something. I was simply sleeping.

"What took you so long?" My mother complained. Derek simply gives me a nod and enters from space aside from us.

I look behind him. He is looking around for something or someone. I am not sure what.

"I was sleeping. Normal people just do that this early in the morning." I say starting at my brother's back. He is still nosing around.

"Alone?" He asks me as he picks up the two sets of wine glasses with one of them having lipstick imprinted on the edge.

He frowns at me pointing at the imprint.

"If you go to my room you will find panty and a bra around too, so what?" I shrug at him. I make my way towards the kitchen. I take a water bottle from the refrigerator and gulp down an ounce of water.

"Don't be so defensive, little brother. I am just trying to protect you." Derek says aloud sitting across the sofa in the living room.

I glare at him from the open kitchen. He simply shrugs at me and gives me an amused look. What does he think? Is it so fucking entertaining to him?

Why not? he gets to play my life. Not now.

"We aren't bothered about it until it jeopardises your marriage, Danny baby."  My mother interjects noticing me rushing towards Derek.

"Jeopardising your business deal, you mean?" I yell aloud.

Derek laughs at my outburst. I simply want to smash his head and ask him what does he want from me.

He confuses me. Sometimes he is a caring and loving brother to me but mostly he is an asshole. After the appearance of bitch of a girlfriend in his life, I can't single out his issues. He acts bizarrely most of the time. Rosalie is a different story altogether. She looks annoyingly innocent but she isn't. If she were, she wouldn't have been madly in love with Derek. When I look at them, I see immense devotion in them for each other apart from the hints of some shitty business between them.

Who cares though? Derek is an uncaring and arrogant asshole.

"What are you laughing at, asshole?" I snare at him.

He proceeds to laugh louder now. He thrives in my wreckage.

"You are a child Danny with a lot of power. Just a little betrayal and you act like everything fell apart for you. You are nothing but a spoiled brat." He approaches slowly towards me and I know he is getting a much-requested punch in his handsome face. My mother gets a call. She has to leave.

"Mom, you should leave, I will take it from here," Derek says to Mother.

That's right brother. It won't be nice getting your ass kicked in front of Mom.

"You both will behave, promise me." She says before leaving us. If I had asked the same, she would have snapped at me but it's Derek. Nobody argues with him.

"We promise," we both say in unison.

She walks out the door. I jump at him and punch his face. While returns me the favour and chuckles holding my hand as a defence.

"You punch like a girl, Danny." He laughs.

"Don't call me that." I snare at him.

"Girl or Danny?" He teases me. I push him back to free myself from his grip.
He angles his hands outwards making it difficult for me.