Part 26

Mickle came to invite them in some minutes later. Ann sure did prepare for her son's coming back party and if Louis plate was a little mismatched and looked like an afterthought, he was still grateful for a place at their table. The chat kept going busy, Harry must've told Ann about his new job and she was so thrilled and proud. Both of them had tears in their eyes whole night covering missed bases. Louis was looking Gemma's way from time to time because her face was more tense than other's.

"So Lou's sisters and brother came to our place last month and I used up my first big check on the presents," Harry giggled practically shining.

"He's absolutely spoiling them," Louis nodded smiling at Harry.

"Like you don't do the same!"

"We saw Harry's new Burberry bag," Gemma whispered raising her brows.

Louis almost spitted his water out because Harry made some very unintelligent sound.

"I bought it myself, thank you very much!" Harry took Louis' hand under the table. "I mean he does spoil me but I try to keep it at bay."

"He really does," Louis bit his lip. "Won't let me buy him a car."

"What!" Gemma and Ann widened their eyes scarily similar.

"Are you trying to buy him a car?"

"You don't let him buy you a car?"

Ann spoke first so Harry casually ignored his sister.

"I don't even have license to drive it," he smiled to his mom.

Louis found his smile tad too tight-lipped.

"You didn't pass the exam only once, dear," Ann said shrugging her shoulders. "You could always try again."

"You said I'd never need it anyway," Harry mumbled cutting his pie.

Something was up.

"Because I'd always be there to drive you around," Ann nodded.

"I'm just saying that it'd be nice to have it while I live in the city."

"You're not living in the city anymore so stop complaining."

Louis stopped chewing and looked up to see how everyone's eyes were on Ann now while she kept calmly eating her dish.

"Mom," Harry started placing his fork on his plate. "I am living in the city."

"Nonsense, you just came home," she waived her hand at him. "I haven't seen you in three years and I'm not taking any chances."

Louis stopped breathing. He was feeling the panic come over him. Did he just lose Harry to his mother? Was it even a thing? He was afraid of pretty singers and ghostwriters while he needed to keep Harry away from his own mother? Well, that was obviously a losing battle.

"Breathe," he heard Harry speak in his ear. "Baby, I'm not staying."

"Yes, you are!" Ann yelled all of a sudden.

Ron started crying and Gemma sprinted to his little cradle in the next room.

"Mom, I have a life out there, I have Lou."

"I don't know him," she said dismissively. "And I didn't have a life all these years looking for you, Harry! You don't get to do what you want. We all know how that ended for you."

Harry's hand went limp on top of Louis'. His eyes closed and his lip wobbled. He was losing it together with Louis.

"Mom, I think that's enough," they turned to see Gemma walk in with Ronald in her hands. Mickle bit his lip shaking his head like he knew where it was going. "Do you want to scare him away forever? Because he's five minutes away from grabbing his things and fleeing Cheshire for good and it's all because you have no idea how to live without your children."