9. Becoming Sheriff

"Is it true?" Henry asks, setting the paper down.

Emma and Rachel look down to see Emma's face on the front page and the story is of when Emma was incarcerated and that she gave birth while in jail.

"Henry", Emma begins but Henry cuts her off.

"Emma, my mother maybe evil but you're not", he says.

"Thanks kid", Emma says. "I am running for Sheriff and Mr. Gold is helping me."

"But Emma you already owe Mr. Gold a favor", Henry says. "You don't want to owe him another."

"Don't worry Henry, she won't", Rachel says. Henry and Emma look at her surprised. "I helped him with something and now he is helping me with this."

"He makes deals with his own daughter?" Emma asks. Rachel shrugs.

"Not really his own", Henry says. "Everyone here knows she is adopted."

"I need to talk with Regina", Emma tells Rachel softly, indicating the paper. Rachel nods her head a little. "I need to go kid", Emma says out loud.

She heads out and Rachel turns to Henry. "What do you want to eat?"

------------

Henry and Rachel are at the docks when Rachel's phone rings. She answers and her face pales from the news. "A fire has started at the Mayor's Mansion", Rachel says, pocketing the phone.

They both head back to the Mansion as fast as possible. On arriving they see the fire raging in the side of the office. Soon Emma comes out of the door helping Regina.

After setting Regina down, Emma walks over to Rachel and Henry. "This shows we don't have to fight dirty", Emma says looking at Henry.

Rachel notices a rag lying on the ground. "This cloth is dripping in kerosene", Rachel mutters to Emma. Emma looks down at the cloth and mutters back, "Gold".

-----------

"You set the fire, didn't you?" Emma asks Gold storming into the shop. Rachel enters behind quietly.

"If I did it, then it was because you can't win without something dramatic to prove yourself", Gold replies.

"I can't go along with this", Emma says.

"Think about what you will be walking away from if you expose me. Who you will be disappointing", Gold says.

Emma walks out and Gold turns towards Rachel. "Couldn't you have stopped her?"

"I showed her the cloth", Rachel says in a taunting voice. Gold sighs frustratedly.

"Do you have any idea what will happen if she announces it?" Gold asks.

"Of course I do", Rachel replies. "I am counting on it, actually." Without saying anything else Rachel turns around and leaves.

After entering the house, she goes upstairs to find Peter waiting for her. "Where have you been the last couple of weeks?" Rachel asks.

"I had to take care of her", Peter replies, chuckling evilly.

Rachel chuckles too. "How much trouble did she give?"

"Almost made it to the shore", Peter replies. "She thought being able to get to the shore would be enough."

Rachel quickly gets ready for bed and gets in with Peter. "Have you been having dreams?" He asks.

Rachel shakes her head. "No, but I have a theory why." Peter waits for her to continue. "I think it's because you were not here."

"Well today I am", Peter says. "Now what do you want to dream of?"