10. The Orphans

After reassuring Ava and Nicholas, Emma and Rachel head out to get their birth certificates. They enter the office to talk with Mr. K.

"You need to fill in the paperwork", he tells Emma.

As Emma fills in the paperwork, she asks Rachel, "Why is he called K?"

"I don't know", Rachel answers. "He is called Mr. K by everyone but no one can say why."

Mr. K returns and informs them it has recently been checked out.

"By whom?" Emma asks.

"The Mayor", Mr. K replies.

They both leave and go to confront Regina. "I have contacted social services", Regina says when she sees the two. "There is no record of the father. The two need help."

"Where are the birth certificates, Regina?" Rachel asks, her voice becoming cold.

Regina looks at Rachel surprised. "You need to watch your tone, Ms. Gold. I don't believe your father will be very pleased if I fired you."

"Go ahead and fire me then", Rachel says in a challenging voice. Before Regina can say anything Emma speaks up.

"I didn't know there is an orphanage in Storybrooke", she says.

"There isn't", Regina replies. "The orphanage is in Boston. They already have two homes selected for them."

"They are going to separate them", Emma says.

"Yes", Regina says. "And I trust you can get them to the orphanage within five o'clock?"

Without replying, Emma and Rachel leave. They get in Emma's police car and start driving to the Station.

"What was that?" Emma asks.

'𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖆𝖉 𝖙𝖔 𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖊 𝖎𝖙. 𝕴 𝖑𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖑 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖆 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖚𝖙𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖎𝖙. 𝕴 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖚𝖕 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖆 𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞 𝖌𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝖑𝖎𝖊.'

Rachel turns towards Emma. "I sometimes have anger issues. I lose control of what I say", she explains.

"What about Regina firing you?" Emma asks. "I don't think Gold is going to be very happy about it."

"Regina wouldn't have kept me either way. Gold backed you, remember?"

"She thinks Gold has turned on her", Emma says, realising what Rachel meant.

"Yes. And she believes that I am helping to."

They arrive at the Station and go inside. "Here check this", Emma says getting some records.

As they go through the records, Henry enters. "I know who Ava and Nicholas are", he says.

"Hansel and Gretel?" Rachel asks, looking at Henry.

"How do you know that?" He asks astonished.

"Because they are siblings who don't have any parents", Rachel replies.

"Does the book say anything about their father?" Emma asks.

"Just that he abandoned them", Henry replies.

"Emma can you tell me about my father?" Henry asks.

Emma looks at Henry for a minute as if contemplating something. "We met when I was working in a 24 hour diner. He used to come in every night and complain about there not being any pumpkin pie."