Chapter Forty

"But it can't be a coincidence." said Violet for the umpteenth time. "Three fires, six orphans."

"I know that." said Klaus finally, irritated. "But I'm trying to speak to Isadora. And Duncan, of course."

Violet smirked and moved over to Rowan.

"Do you recognise this picture?" asked Klaus, and unfolded the photograph.

Isadora gasped. "Yes! I was looking for that everywhere. That's our parents, in the middle, by the way."

She said it so casually that it sounded utterly ridiculous. She thought it was just a picture of her parents and their friends.

"That's our parents." said Klaus slowly as Violet and Rowan talked together. "And the two other there are Rowan's."

Both triplets let out a sharp gasp.

The days passes, each day the same routine - breakfast, lesson, lesson, lesson, lunch, lesson, lesson, break, dinner, violin recital, bed. Vice Principal Nero made the students sit in the assembly hall every evening for his six hour violin recitals. As the six friends sat in the cafeteria, they thought their day was actually quite good. They didn't know that their day was about to get much worse.

"When Violet, Rowan and I - I'm the oldest alive triplet by 136 seconds - come of age, we could use our fortunes and sapphires to make a business." said Isadora.

"Ooh, that would be fun." said Klaus eagerly. "Rowan could design the building, Violet could build it, Duncan and Isadora could write things, and I could print it. We could probably find one thing for Sunny to do too. She would be six, after all."

"What would it be called?" asked Violet. 

"The Cartographer-Inventor-Researcher-Poet-Journalist Printing Company." joked Rowan.

"That's an awful name." Violet teased back.

"Geroo!" shrieked Sunny, meaning 'get a room!'. Violet blushed, but Rowan luckily couldn't understand.

The Quagmires' smiles faded.

"Cartographer?" repeated Isadora sadly.

"Yes." said Rowan, bewildered. "That's what I want to be. That's what I am."

"I'm sorry." said Duncan, and Isadora nodded. "Our brother Quigley was an aspiring cartographer."

"Oh, I'm very sorry about your brother." said Rowan.

"It's okay." said Isadora.

"Oh, the cakesniffing orphans talking about their family members." said a certain girl, dancing towards them. "That's sad, because they are dead."

"We're aware, Carmelita." said Violet angrily.

"Come on." said Duncan. Violet picked up Sunny, and they all left.

The children went to the orphan shack where they sat sadly on the hay bales that they usually slept on. Violet was sharing with Sunny, Klaus was sharing with Rowan, and Isadora was sharing with Duncan.

"Orphans!" screamed Vice Principal Nero suddenly, opening the door. "I know you're in there!"

"Yes, we are." said Isadora. "Did we do something wrong?"

"No, but I have someone I'm sure you'd love to meet!" the man sounded quite gleeful. "Ah, wonderful, the door opened."

The six children stifled giggles as Vice Principal Nero finally realised that you couldn't open a locked door by pushing on it. Only Isadora, Violet, Rowan, and Nero had keys, thankfully.

"Veronica, Clyde, Sammy, Roman, Isabella, Dennis, meet Coach Genghis. Genghis, these orphans are Veronica, Clyde, Sammy, Roman, Isabella, and Dennis."

Genghis stepped into view.

"Hello, hello, hello." he said. "I am Coach Genghis."