36: The Art in Ashes

The congressman received a kiss goodnight from Harika in the study. When she walked back to her bedroom, she heard a hushed cry inside Venus' room. In a week, her cousin's turning sixteen and she wanted a glamorous birthday party which Harika has done months ago.

"Yes, mom, I know we cannot imitate Harika's fairytale themed party, and since you are aware of how much fairytales influenced my childhood, you understand why I don't want to recreate her idea... but mom, that's what I want! That's the same thing I've had in mind for my birthday!" Venus insisted. "Paano kung hindi nila magustuhan ang party ko kung hindi iyon ang tema na gusto ko? For sure they won't like me anymore..."

Natigilan si Harika. Dinig na dinig niya ang hinaing ng kanyang pinsan mula sa loob ng kuwartong kinaroroonan nito.

"Venus, honey, look at me, fairytales are only for the kids. You're not turning seven or eight next week... you're celebrating sweet sixteen. Ano ba ang pinoproblema mo? Napakaraming konseptong nababagay sa 'yo, sa party mo, at kung bakit kailangan mong ulitin ang konseptong nagawa na ni Harika? Hindi ka ba nag-iisip? Ayaw mong gayahin ang motif ng magaling mong pinsan 'tapos pinipilit mong fairytale din ang mangyari sa party mo? That's not how it works if you wanted to outdo her party—"

"But that's who I am, mommy. I know that's what they wanted—that I am a stunning princess, as everyone knows."

"Who said being yourself would make people want you? No one. All you have to do is be the version of yourself that they like."

Humina ang usapan ng mag-ina at tila nagkakasundo na sa iisang bagay. Hanggang sa tumuloy ang usapan ng mga ito na sakop muli nang pandinig ni Harika.

"Ayoko sa beach resort mag-celebrate, mommy, in the manor is where I wanted it to be held. Although I haven't precisely counted them, I believe there are more than one hundred guests."

"I don't think the manor will be available next week because of Helen's death anniversary. Pero gagawin ko ang lahat para mapapayag si Dad na magamit natin ang manor para sa birthday mo, pero hindi ako nakasisiguro..."

"What? Hindi na nga fairytale ang magiging theme ng party ko, hindi pa rin pala puwede ang lugar kung saan ko gustong idaos ang birthday ko?"

"Of course it will be accessible the following week... only for you, my love. But first, something needs to be done to make it possible. How can you do it?" A brief moment. Venus waited. "Impress me by crying and begging in front of the congressman. Make an effort to convince him to change his mind."

As soon as Harika heard Lymareva by eavesdropping outside her cousin's room, she couldn't stop thinking about their conversation until she was in bed. Para sa mag-ina, si Harika ang matalik na kakompitensya ng anak nito; sa congressman, sa mga tao... sa lahat ng bagay.

✦❘༻༺❘✦

When Harika was very little, her knowledge about her mother was as tiny as she could remember. Although she was aware of her maternal side when she appeared in her vague dream as a loving and caring woman.

Helen lost her life at a young in a car crash off a cliff accident. She died a week later when she turned twenty two . Iyon lang ang tanging alam ni Harika tungkol sa ina nito na binanggit sa kanya. It was tragic to think about, but she had hoped to know everything far beyond the knowledge she had with her. Minsan na siyang naging curious kung anong klaseng tao ba ito sa iba noong nabubuhay pa ito. Minsan na rin niyang naitanong ito sa kanyang Lolo Dad, na parating namang ilag at iniiwasang pag-usapan ang nangyari dito.

People around Harika said she has all of Helen's features, which was why she reminded them of her mother. Tanda niya pa ang kuwento ng kanyang Nana Alice noon, na tumingin lang daw siya sa salamin at makikita na niya ang kanyang ina sa sariling repleksyon niya. For her, the lack of anything that would serve as a nostalgic reminder of her mother or at the very least something they could share with her was very unfortunate. They hid it away from her. Helen's things were kept somewhere she didn't know. Ano ba'ng dahilan kung bakit pilit na itinatago ng mga taong nasa paligid niya ang pagkatao ng kanyang ina kung gayong siya naman ang pinaka may karapatan sa lahat na malaman ang tungkol sa pagkatao nito? Hindi niya maintindihan. Ang painting lang ng mukha nito ang tanging bagay na mayroon siyang naaalala niya. According to her Lolo Dad, the painting in question was created using a mixture of paint and her mother's ash. It was the only thing she had to cling to. Time flies, but her curiosity in her mother doesn't change.