Day two

"You should have hit me." Quackity says finally, his tone quiet but steadfast.

Sapnap himself almost flinches at the blatant sentence, but instead goes to protest, not daring to take another step forward. Quackity interrupts him before he can say a full word though, and Sapnap notices how tightly his shoulders are clenched. "I'm too hungry for this."

"Q-"

But his dissent is futile, and his fiance ignores him as he gathers a plate and cutlery and sits at the table, arranging the food before him until he has a heavily piled palette of bacon and pancakes in front of him.

And Sapnap only stares. He wants to cry, almost. Because Quackity is gold and luxury and delicacy. But he's broken. He's scarred and hurt, and Sapnap wants to cry.

When did they get like this? When did their ship become so rusted?

Quackity glances up through a mouthful, quirking an eyebrow. "What? Something on my face?"

"Beauty." He says without thinking, and Quackity laughs. A choked, beautiful laugh that impales Sapnap and cuts his heart out of his chest.

"Sit." Quackity invites, waving a hand. "Eat." And Sapnap does. Except the whole time he's thinking, I was the one that was supposed to be doing this, I was the one that was supposed to be inviting him to the table and hurting him with my smile.

It's purely incredible sometimes; how Quackity somehow always seems to be able to control a situation, even when exhausted and out of his depth.

Sapnap piles his own plate with food, purposely trying to make eye contact with his fiance, and finds he wants to do everything but bring up the argument, yet he can't imagine a universe where he wouldn't. Quackity doesn't say anything though, so neither does Sapnap, and for a brief moment they just exist together. Despite the tension, the blaze-born lets himself indulge in the moment. Awkward silence is better than alone silence, he finds.

He keeps his eye on his fiance, never looking away for too long, and finds that with every five bites Sapnap eats, Quackity only has one. His black hair and ivory feathers have been tucked under another beanie, and his shirt is less rumpled than the rest of his clothes due to how he only just put it on.

He lets Sapnap look, pushing his food around with a fork, but predominantly keeps his eye on his plate. Until eventually he glances up with an amused expression, finger tapping against the table rhythmically. "Am I that beautiful?" He teases.

Sapnap laughs, as if it were a joke, and shakes his head. "No. Or... Well, yes. But that isn't why I'm staring."

Quackity puts his fork down, resting his face on his hands with a cheeky smile. "Oh?"

Sapnap feels uncomfortable breaking Quackity's sudden good mood, but figures he won't ever be as 'happy' if he doesn't speak up. "I think we need to talk." He regrets the 'i think' quickly.

Quackity's smile falters significantly, but never drops.

Sapnap takes a deep breath. "I don't know what's going on Q, but I want to make things right with you and..."

"You want to stay with me." Quackity says, as if reciting thoughts he's already had and he's bored of the subject by now. "Not Karl. I accept that, why can't that be enough?"

"Because I don't accept that, Q. I know I want to be here, do you want me to be?"

"Sure."

Sapnap frowns, not quite a scowl. "Sure?"

Quackity sits up, huffing. "This whole situation is shit, Sapnap. And frankly, I'm tired of it. You want to be here. I want.. You. Why can't that be enough?"