⚓︎ chapter eight ⚓︎

Eleanor and Jake had turned in early that night, but very little sleep was had for either of them. Jake had stuck to his word and shown Eleanor many times just how beautiful he thought she was and how much he loved her. She didn't question where his heart sat after their little run-in with his past.

However, the following morning, they both regretted the loss of sleep as everyone was completely hectic and running around. Breakfast was just a grab-what-you-can-type situation. They had to finish setting up for the wedding which was going to be taking place around two in the afternoon with the reception following immediately after.

Eleanor and Jake settled for coffee to wake themselves up before helping with whatever last-minute details needed to be done. Eleanor took it upon herself to help Julie get ready since she didn't have time to hire someone to do hair and make-up for her. While Eleanor was not a professional, she certainly knew how to do make-up and style hair. She wasn't an animal.

Julie just wanted a half-up hair-do with gold pins she had bought and a subtle, natural-looking make-up style. Eleanor gladly obliged and did exactly what she wanted. It was just an hour and a half before the wedding when Eleanor finished her work. Brenda came in and helped Julie into her wedding dress, the photographer making sure to get the candid moment at Eleanor's subtle suggestion. After gushing over the bride for a few minutes, Eleanor went to get herself ready.

Jake was in the room, already getting into his wedding attire. While he had the option to wear his naval formal dress wear, he decided to just opt for something similar to what the other groomsmen were wearing, which was a simple tan-colored button-up with jeans and boots with a black cowboy hat. He wasn't a groomsman but he would be walking his Nana Elsie to her seat in the ceremony.

Eleanor whistled from the doorway as she looked him up and down. He laughed before pulling her into his arms and pressing his lips against hers firmly. They both pulled away, resting their foreheads together before Jake's mom yelled from upstairs that there was an hour before the wedding and Eleanor still had to get ready.

"I have to go find the other groomsmen and get my boutonniere on," he told her, "but our seats are right next to each other for the wedding, okay?"

Eleanor nodded, placing a final kiss on his lips before he ran up the stairs to leave her to get ready. She quickly pinned her hair up in a low braided bun and opted for a simple make-up look, completing it with her red lipstick.  Anytime she put her signature lipstick on, even if her make-up was minimal, she looked more dressed up than normal.  She then grabbed her light blue maxi wrap dress with her sandals and got changed quickly.

After making sure she looked okay, she ran up the stairs and made her way outside to find her seat. Jake told her that she had a specifically marked chair, which wasn't that hard to find. Taking a quick glance around at all the guests, she was quick to notice Riley sitting in the back, sending dirty looks her way but she didn't care. Jake made sure to reassure her the night before that he had no feelings for Riley whatsoever. She was the one acting like they were still in high school.

The wedding began a few minutes later with Jake carefully helping his Nana down the aisle. She was seated just a chair away from Eleanor and sent her a wink. Jake then took the seat in between both of them, taking Eleanor's hand into his. She couldn't help but smile lovingly at him before they were all asked to rise as Julie walked down the aisle with her dad.

This was Eleanor's favorite part of any wedding she had been to. She looked down the aisle at Simon, who was getting emotional over watching Julie make her way toward him, towards their future together. Jake watched Eleanor's gaze and wrapped his arms around her waist, gently kissing her head.