⚓︎ chapter twelve ⚓︎

Eleanor came to, hearing the slow repetition of a beep from a machine.  She opened her eyes to find herself in a hospital room, trying to recall what had happened.  Her eyes drifted to her right side where she spotted a familiar sandy blonde haired man asleep, firmly holding her hand.

The memories of what she had been feeling before losing consciousness came back and she let out a shudder as she sat up more in the bed.  There was some slight tenderness in her pelvis area and she let out a small hiss from the discomfort.  The sound of her hissing caused Jake to stir awake.  His eyes opened and he looked at Eleanor, relief flooding his features.

"Hey," he whispered, standing to gently kiss her forehead.

"What happened?" She asked, looking over the IVs in her arms and trying to check her body for any sign of surgery.  She also looked to see the repetitive beeping was just a heart monitor for her.

Jake sniffled.  "I came home to find you passed out," he explained, "I called an ambulance and they were pretty quick to determine that you had a septic miscarriage."

Her eyes began to brim just hearing the word.  A few slipped from her eyes, causing Jake to grab her hand.  "Hey, don't cry," he whispered, "I'm right here, you can talk to me."

She covered her mouth to try and cover the sobs escaping past her lips.  Jake only climbed into the bed carefully and pulled her body to his and she let him, just clinging to him desperately.  She needed to be anchored down and he was there holding her. He gently rocked her, quietly shushing her as they lay there together.

"I'm here," he whispered, "I'm right here."

And he always would be.

⚓︎

An hour later after Eleanor's crying had ceased, the nurse had come in to check on her and saw the couple awake and just laying together on the bed, wrapped in the other's arms.  Jake slowly got off the bed as the nurse had to check Eleanor's vitals but he stayed right at her side, holding her hand the entire time.

"I'm going to grab the doctor, okay?" She told them before disappearing out of the room.

Eleanor then looked at Jake, whose eyes were red from the lack of sleep and the crying he had done.  "I'm so sorry I worried you," she told him, "that's the last thing I wanted to do."

Jake immediately shook his head.  "Don't apologize," he told her, "you have nothing to be sorry for at all, Ellie."

"But you're probably stressing enough with how I've been acting and I only added fuel to the fire by not telling you that I suspected there was something worse going on with me when I did begin feeling sick," she gushed, running her free hand through her hair, "who knows what could have happened?"

Jake immediately shook head, knowing where Eleanor's mind was going.  "Don't think like that," he responded sternly, his throat getting tight at the thought, "you are okay and we're gonna be okay.  We will make it through this."

Eleanor had tears running down her face at his words.  She knew they would make it through this.  It was just hard in that moment that she was struggling with losing the baby.  Even if she wasn't that far along, it was a still a life lost.

"I'm still sorry I worried you," she mumbled tearfully.

He sighed before gently kissing her knuckles, resting his forehead on the back of her palm.  "I always worry about you," he informed her, "and I know how much this is taking a toll on you mentally.  Just please talk to me so I can try to help, please don't shut me out."

She nodded as he pulled her into a gentle hug, just holding her there before pulling away to share a gentle kiss.  Jake rested his forehead against hers for a second before the doctor walked in and they pulled apart.