⚓︎ chapter twenty-five ⚓︎

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," Hangman's voice spoke.  "This is your savior speaking. Please fasten your seatbelts, return your tray tables to their locked and upright positions, and prepare for landing."

He then came up beside Maverick and Rooster, both absolutely relieved to see the familiar face.  "Hey, Hangman, you look good," Bradley told him.

"I am good, Rooster," he told him, his tone indicating that he was holding this over their heads for as long as he lived. "I'm very good. What would your sister say if I didn't save your ass?" He teased, causing Maverick and Bradley to laugh.  "I'll see you back on deck." He then began his descent towards the carrier.

The mission had been successful.  Despite Maverick being shot down and sacrificing himself for Rooster, who still came back for him, against all odds, they had made it back to the carrier.

After exiting the aircraft, the team all greeted each other with cheers over the fact that they had succeeded.  People were hugging, laughter could be heard and there were so many tears of relief.

Jake walked up to Bradley, both of them smiling before Jake offered his hand.  Bradley looked at it before taking it and giving it a firm shake.  Maybe now, for Eleanor's sake, they could actually begin to form somewhat of a friendship.

"Chalked yourself another kill," Bradley told him, referring the the enemy pilot he had shot down just a few minutes before.

"That makes two, you think your sister will be impressed?" Jake teased.

"Mav has five, makes him an ace," Phoenix cut in between the conversation with a matter-of-fact tone.

The guys all laughed before more hugs were given.  Bradley walked back over to where Maverick was standing, cheering with everyone.

"Captain Mitchell!" He called, causing Maverick to turn.  "Sir."

Maverick didn't hesitate and threw his arms around Bradley, pulling him into a tight embrace.  They pulled away for a second before Maverick looked at him.  "Thank you for saving my life."

"It's what my dad would've done," Bradley reminded him.  He was pulled into another hug.

Eventually, Jake walked back over and tapped Bradley's shoulder, causing him to turn.  "What's up, Hangman?"

"I know your sister is gonna kill me for telling you here, but I have to tell you since we're back and alive," Jake began, "but Eleanor's pregnant again."

The look of shock that crossed Bradley's face was priceless.  Without hesitating, he actually hugged Hangman, which everyone was shocked about.  He then pulled away and shouted, "I'm gonna be an uncle!"

Phoenix was even shocked and offered congratulations to Hangman with a hug before Maverick walked over to him.

"Thank you for keeping your promise, Mav," Jake told him.  "Though I won't mention to Eleanor how you both almost died."

"Yeah, please don't do that."

⚓︎

Eleanor and Torie laughed as they walked the aisles of the local store, looking at baby clothes and accessories. While part of her wanted it to be a boy, part of her had a feeling that she was having a girl, so she was drifting to the girl clothing just a little more.

"Do you have any name ideas?" Torie called from where she stood.

"A few," Eleanor responded. "And before you even say anything, we'd use Torie in like our second or third child's name, at least."

Torie rolled her eyes. "Bold of you to assume I'd tell you to name your child after me."

Eleanor sent her a 'Really' look.