⚓︎ chapter seventeen ⚓︎

Eleanor pulled up to the bar a half hour later to find it beginning to get packed as the work day had ended.  It meant more people seeking alcohol to forget the stress of the day.  She had only been to this bar a handful of times but seeing it again felt nice.  She climbed out of Jake's truck and quickly fixed the striped t-shirt dress she opted to wear for the night before heading in.

Upon entering, she was quick to note all of the Navy personnel walking around and hanging out with civilians.  It smelled like beer and smoke mixed with sweat from everyone's work day.  People were laughing, music was playing, and Eleanor couldn't help but smile as quickly scanned the crowd looking for a familiar face.  She spotted it over by the pool tables, along with a few other familiar faces.  As she got closer did she hear her older brother's voice speaking.

"Hangman, the only place you'll lead anyone is an early grave," he stated, which caused a frown to form on Eleanor's face as she shook her head.

No matter how long she and Jake had been together, he and Bradley still bickered like they were twelve year old boys fighting over who was better at an Xbox game. She was hoping it would begin to die down after she and Jake got married.

Everyone stayed silent as they watched Hangman stand up straighter and walk up to Bradley. He had yet to notice Eleanor standing just a few feet away from the group.

"Well, anyone who follows you is just gonna run out of fuel," Jake taunted as he walked up to Bradley, "but that's just you, ain't it, Rooster? You're snug on your perch, waiting for just the right moment that never comes."

Everyone in the group held their breath, waiting for whatever was going to happen between the guys next, only for Hangman to simply say, "I love this song," and then walk away from Bradley, still not seeing Eleanor.

"Well, he hasn't changed," Natasha said to Bradley.

"Nope, sure hasn't," Bradley responded as he watched Jake walk away, "I still can't believe he's going to be my brother-in-law."

"Well, believe it and try getting along every once in awhile because he is not going anywhere," Eleanor stated as she walked up to the pair.

They both turned upon hearing the familiar voice and smiled.  "Hey, there she is!" Bradley exclaimed, pulling his little sister into a tight hug.  "How are you doing?"

Eleanor shrugged.  "I'm okay," she told him truthfully, "I have good days and bad days."

She then turned to hug Natasha, a smile on her face as well.  "I've missed you," she told her sincerely, "being on deployment sucks when you're surrounded by all that testosterone."

Eleanor laughed before looking at the rest of the group, the only familiar one being Coyote.  Jake walked back over to the pool table and spotted her instantly by Natasha and Bradley, a smile beaming on his face.

"How long have you been here?" He asked, walking up to greet her with a kiss.

"Long enough to hear you and my brother insult each other," she responded quietly to him with a raised eyebrow.

Jake nervously laughed as he scratched the back of his neck. "He started it," he stated quickly, pointing at Bradley.

"Hey!" Bradley exclaimed as he threw his arms up, "Way to throw me under the bus."

"I'm confused," one of the unfamiliar pilots with a pair of thick glasses on spoke from where he stood, "what is the dynamic here between you three?"

Bradley was spoke up first. "Guys, this is my little sister, Eleanor," he began gesturing to her, "she is engaged to Jake, unfortunately." His tone sounding more forced when he said that last part.