⚓︎ chapter twenty-four ⚓︎

Eleanor felt like she hadn't rested since the funeral.  Everyday before Jake left for training, Torie would come over to help make sure Eleanor had company and was actually eating throughout the day. The pregnancy, on top of her anxiety, was taking a toll on her.

They were due to be leaving for the mission in a few days, which made the anxiety so much heavier on Eleanor's shoulders.  Jake tried to reassure her that they were doing well in their trainings but she could see the worry behind his eyes every time he came home. There thing she wasn't telling her.

However, a few days after the funeral and the day before they left, Jake walked in to find Torie and Eleanor sitting on the couch, looking over magazines. The look in his eyes instantly worried them both as they quickly stood.

"What's happened?" Eleanor asked, walking up to Jake.

"Maverick," he spoke, somewhat breathlessly. "He showed us that the mission can be done. He's coming with us on this mission, he's gonna be team leader."

While Eleanor was relieved they had found their much needed confidence, she couldn't help but wonder what Maverick's plan was on choosing those to fly with him and she had a strong inkling that it was between Jake and Bradley.  She could only hug Jake gratefully, tears coming to her eyes.

Torie shortly left after to go and get Bradley, so the four of them could have dinner together.  Eleanor's anxiety was through the roof but she did well to mask it for Jake's sake, seeing as this was their last night together before he did leave and Eleanor didn't want him to worry about her.

When they arrived back at the house, Eleanor could only hug her brother for the longest time it felt like.  Neither Jake nor Torie said anything because they knew Eleanor's anxiety also came back to how their father had died.  She wouldn't say it out loud, but she was worried Bradley would follow the same fate on this mission.

"You come back safely, okay?" She whispered to him, who nodded in response.

"I'll always come back, Ellie," he told her.  "I've got more than one reason to now."  He then smiled over at where Torie was standing, helping Jake prep something for the meal.

Later that night, after they cooked something that didn't make Eleanor want to vomit, Bradley and Torie had left to spend the rest of this last night together alone.  Jake and Eleanor sat on the couch with the dogs, watching a movie together to calm themselves. They couldn't stay up late because Jake did have to get up early to leave the next morning and would be gone for a few days.

Eleanor was trying not to dwell on that thought.

There was a knock on their front door and Eleanor got up to see who it was. Opening the door, she found Maverick standing on the other side, dressed in his formal whites, which caused the anxiety in Eleanor's stomach to worsen, though she wouldn't say it out loud.

"Hi," he spoke breathlessly. "Can we talk?"

Already feeling a lump in the back of her throat, she nodded before letting Jake know she would be just outside the door. He nodded before deciding to take the dogs for a walk around the block, even if it was late.

When Jake was out of sight, Maverick and Eleanor sat down on the front steps, silent for a minute. Eventually, Maverick looked over to see Eleanor deep in thought, her mind going to them all leaving the next day and being back who knows when?

"What's on your mind, kid?" He asked softly.

She sniffled. "I know you're all talented, you wouldn't be here if you weren't," she told him. "I just wish I understood more but I don't because I'm not a pilot."