As long as im by you

“Sadie, can you hold back a moment, please? I need to speak with you in private.”

Sadie’s blood ran cold as she watched her classmates gather their books and file out of the lecture hall after class. Ruthie gave her a puzzled look and Sadie shrugged in return.

What does Simon want?

He had been giving her funny looks recently: not in a good way. There were also the casual brushes in the studio: lately, Simon seemed to be singling her out and Sadie wasn't entirely comfortable around him. She thought at first that he was really great but lately she felt her mind changing. There was something off about him.

When the last student left and the heavy door clicked shut behind them, Sadie stared at Simon.

“What’s up Professor?” she asked brightly, fearing she was in major trouble for something she felt pretty sure she hadn’t done.

Is he even allowed to be in a room alone with a student?

Under the bench, Sadie silently activated her camera phone and pressed record.

Just in case.

Simon smiled pleasantly at her and leaned casually over the lecturer’s desk. “I know I haven’t finished marking everyone’s assignments from last week yet but I wanted to let you know that I’m really impressed with your work.”

Sadie blushed. “Gosh, thanks very much, that’s awful nice of you to say!”

“Your level of work is a cut above the rest. I found it an interesting read that was also written very well. You should be proud of your paper. Definitely a distinction grade right there.”

Simon’s blue eyes pierced through hers as he moved closer to her bench.

“Maybe you would be interested in going through my personal library in my office and picking out something you’d like? I have a couple of books on a similar topic that would be of interest to you.”

What? Oh, God!

Simon’s hand trailed over to hers. He grazed his fingertips over the back of her hand.

Get out, Sadie! Get out now!

“How about right now? I’m free now?”

Simon gazed at her hungrily and Sadie knew he wasn’t really offering her an opportunity to browse his collection of academic books and journals.

Stay cool.

“That’s a really kind offer, Simon. But I’ve got a group assignment I need to work on. I’m meeting the others at 3 pm.”

Sadie withdrew her hand and looked at her watch: 02:06 pm.

Godammit.

“We’ve plenty of time”, Simon purred. “Come on, Sadie. It’ll be worth your while!”

Ugh, no!

“I really, truly can’t. I’m hungry and I need to eat, otherwise, I’ll get a headache and that’s me done for the day then. But thanks anyway.”

“Oh, you’ll get done alright... Come on Sadie, I know you’re up for it!”

That’s it!

“Sorry Simon, I’m out of here! I can’t be in a room alone with you!”

Suddenly his big meaty hand was back on top of hers firmly pressing down into the benchtop.

Sadie froze in horror. She couldn't move.

“You were perfectly okay to be alone with Goore when you were in his car last week, weren’t you?”

Sadie’s heart hammered and her legs turned to jelly. “Excuse me?”