Meet the nightmare

When Mary woke up the next morning, the first thing he did was check the time.

07:45? Way too fucking early on a Sunday!

He turned over and looked at Sadie who was still fast asleep beside him.

She's so lovely!

He snuggled gently into her, throwing his right arm over her as the big spoon. Her breathing pattern changed for a few seconds and he kissed her long loose hair. She didn't wake but she did mumble something unintelligible.

Mary closed his eyes and basked in the warmth of the bed. His house seemed so much nicer when Sadie was around. She didn't know it but she brought a sense of joy with her. Of course, he loved seeing little changes because of her presence: her toothbrush next to his, her hair products in his shower, the handful of spare clothes she kept in his bedroom. Such tokens of her presence reminded him that he was not alone, even when he was on his own. His house became his home because of her.

Which reminds me. I have a spare key to give her!

It was time to give her a key. Last night proved it when he sent her ahead of him.

She gave me her spare key, it's the right time to return the gesture.

Of course, it was still too early to move in together and it didn't make much sense yet. But he had been mulling over this idea for a while.

Geographically it would make more sense if I moved into hers as she lives nearer to Uni. But it makes zero sense for her to be paying rent when I'm paying for this mortgage, especially if this house is potentially empty. But I can't make her up sticks and move here: she would be too far away from her band and her family.

Why am I a hundred miles ahead of myself? I haven't even met her family yet! Calm down! Together only briefly and I want to play house... I'll give her the key later and see how she reacts.

The main thing is that right now we are enhancing each other's lives. Instead of changing everything, we are complimenting our lifestyles and making things fun together.

I'm never going to get back to sleep! Sleepy thoughts, sleepy thoughts, sleepy thoughts...

Suddenly Sadie moaned loudly in her sleep. It startled Mary and he snapped even more awake than he already was.

"No. No! You never loved me!" she spoke angrily. Mary listened in horrified interest. "I was always an inconvenience to you! Give me back my snare drum!" She thrashed out.

"Kitten! Hush, hush, hush!" He squeezed her and stroked her hair. "You're having a bad dream!"

She bolted upright in the bed, pulling herself out of Mary's embrace with fierce strength. She stared at the window and breathed heavily, wide awake.

"Are you okay, Kitten?" Mary asked softly in the silence that followed. He stroked her back gently. "Lie back down..."

She exhaled heavily and lay down, still staring directly ahead for a few seconds. A tear fell from the corner of her right eye and Mary noticed. "Come here" he murmured, turning her over to face him. He hugged her tightly and he was certain he could feel her heart thumping hard in her chest. She burst into tears, sobbing uncontrollably. "Let it out, let it out..." he comforted her, squeezing her tightly. Mary worried.

What could be so very wrong that's making her so upset? Oh my sweet Kitten!