Chapter 18: She Does Care

Mera was slowly dozing off, as she had been waiting for Ben to wake up all night, she was too worried about Ben to sleep or leave the Hospital Wing. The cup that Madam Pomfrey gave her was now empty, and sitting on a table.

Ben: ( slowly wakes up and sees Mera ) Mery...?

Mera: ( quickly looks at Ben with a blank expression, but with relief in her eyes ) Ben, oh thank Merlin, you're alright. How are you feeling?

Ben: Cold. Tired. Sore. Not that different from usual, to be honest. 

Mera: Is there anything I can do to cheer you up?

Ben: Seeing a friendly face is enough.

Mera: Ben, I need you to be honest with me. What were you doing in that Icy Corridor and how did you get trapped in the cursed ice?

Ben: I...I don't remember. I can  hardly remember anything at all.

Mera: It might have to do with something with that blasted ice. Rowan and Merula found a letter to you in the Artifact room, and tried to hide the fact that you were missing...

Ben: Aren't you very observant to everything around you?

Mera: Yes, but they have seemed to have forgotten that at the time. Anyway, it led us to another that told you to go to that corridor.

Ben: I'm sorry, Mera... I just don't remember...

Mera: It's alright, all that matters is that you are alright now. Just get some rest. I'll come again to visit you soon.

Ben: Okay, thanks for visiting me, Mera. I knew you weren't as emotionless as some of the students think.

Mera then walked out of the Hospital Wing with a worried expression, but she quickly made her expression blank when she got out the door. She then went back to the corridor to find Merula and Rowan at the ice door. She went to them with a blank expression.

Rowan: Mera! I can't believe you and Merula found Ben frozen in cursed ice! How is he?

Mera: He's okay, but a bit strange. He doesn't remember anything about coming to this corridor.

Rowan: I think he's hiding something-

Mera: ( sternly: ) How could he possibly be hiding something? He doesn't remember what happened to him.

Rowan: Hear me out, Mera... I've always felt like he knew more than he was telling. Like he was keeping secrets...

Mera: ( blankly with a raised brow: ) Oh? Like how you and Merula try to hide his disappearance from me? I'm sorry, Rowan, but I don't think Ben is capable of hiding something that involves this ( gestures to the cursed ice ) or some mysterious person called " R ".

Rowan: Maybe that's what he wants you to believe...

Mera: ( with a serious expression: ) Rowan, sweetie, are you implying that I am easily tricked?

Rowan: ( doesn't know how to answer ) uh....

Merula: Okay, we just need to figure out what's really going on. Let's search this corridor, and see if we can find some clues...