07. Busted

The ride to our destination is filled with tense silence.

I take advantage of that to recall how surprised Weston was that I told him we should attend the Christmas Party at his new office.

Every year since we got married, we have alternated between both of our work parties, this year we were supposed to be at Colby's but I decided Marley and Co..

Because of Jackson.

Because of what he said.

We reach the venue a few minutes later, Weston calls over his secretary, Betty, who takes the kids away to a playroom specially crafted where other associates children can play whilst their parents dance the night away.

Before entering the hall, Weston grasps my waist in a firm grip, watching me silently the entire time.

We mingle with a few guests, Weston's current colleagues as well as some from his old firm are here. Weston's former CEO Rubin and his wife Claire along with his old PA, Xavier.

The Christmas Party is really just a sham for inviting everyone invested in the marketing industry, be it your opponent.

"We were not happy to lose him, April sweetheart. Weston, you are a tricky sonuvabitch. Marley and Co. give you a better offer, ain't they?" Rubin, the CEO at Weston's old firm guts out a deep belly laugh.

What? Weston had told me that he had been laid off due to inflation at his old firm and the Marley and Co. offer was definitely a dozen grand less gracious than his former pay.

So not only did he lie about being fired but he left a well paying job for a less paying one.

I offer a smile to Rubin despite fuming inside.

Weston breathes out a fake chuckle,
"You don't give up opportunities like that."

What fucking opportunities, baby? An over demanding and less paying job.

Yeah, I snort internally.

"There you are Rubin!" A female voice calls over a moment before the face comes into view.

"Elizabeth." Rubin stays neutral.

The Elizabeth in question is a lady in her early 40s, blonde hair cut in a Bob, yellow suit dress and pearl necklace around her neck.

"That's my boss." Weston whispers in my ear.

Elizabeth, though it's apparent that she's somewhere in her forties, is one beautiful woman. There seems to be a golden halo around her as she speaks and even the way she bends at the waist when she laughs is elegant.

"I am glad to see you made it, I want you to meet someone." She gestures toward Weston.

"Our newest addition, Mr. Bisley who has brought great-"

"Oh, Beth, stop with your gloating. I am well familiar with Weston." Rubin mutters before taking a swig of his drink.

Elizabeth's laughter rings in the air before she moves aside and gestures behind her.

"Good good, we can move on the best employee in my company then. Jackson Hastings."

The breathe in my lungs gets stuck when he comes into view.

Jackson is donning a black three piece suit, the blazer snug to his tapered waist buttons undone, the pants hanging of his hips and the bowtie at his neck just a little crooked.

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Shmaoli." Jackson shakes hands with Rubin.

"Ah, the infamous Jackson Hastings, I've heard things about you."