#10

Soniya came to her cubicle where Ayan was sitting on her next. He looked at him and stood up.

She asked, " Are you the one? "

He answered, " Ayan Mishra, I am the new joinee. "

" Okay. "

She kept her handbag on the table and sat on the seat.

He said, " Actually I know the accounts work on the tally prime. "

" It's Freak books, a kind of advanced digital accounting tool. You might not take more than a week to learn this one. "

" I appreciate that. "

She took out a pile of vouchers from the drawer under the desk and kept them on the table. She picked a few vouchers and gave it to Ayan.

She said, " We'll start from vouchers. Just see how I am recording them on computer and then do the same in yours. "

" Got it. "

Sub Inspector Karishma Singh was working on some files on her desk in the police station. She was in her late twenties and was recently posted to the town.

The SHO of the police station Inspector Dhawan came before him and kept a glass of tea before her with another glass on his other hand. Dhawan was in his mid forties.

Karishma picked up the glass, smiled and looked at him.

She said, " Thank you sir for the tea. "

He huffed, " Well, hardly six days have been passed and I am observing that you have been dedicatedly working on the random files. "

She sighed, " Not the random one sir. I am working on a case. "

" Case? Which one? "

She handed over the file to him. He read the file which had details about Rhea's demise.

He asked, " Why you are working on it? "

" The file is pending for a year. There must be something that can bring us to the cause and the people behind it. "

He closed the file and kept it on the desk.

" There are more recent cases pending. You better work on them and leave this one. "

She stood up.

" But sir. "

" No more questions Miss Karishma. I think it's better to do as I say. Stay away from this case. "

He left with his glass. Karishma picked up the file, opened the file and looked at Rhea's photo.

A woman in her thirties, Isha stepped out of swimming pool which was built in the premises of Vedant's bungalow. She went upstairs with bathrobe over her body and her hair were tied with towel on her head.

Vedant was on the upper floor of his house with glasses on his eyes. He had greyish hair and was clean shaved. He was in his mid fifties. He was sitting on a royal sofa chair and had a photograph of his deceased wife, Radhika in his hand.

Isha walked in and sat in his lap.

She asked, " Are you still missing her? "

He huffed.

" Always. Whenever I see Vinay, he always reminds of his mother. "

Isha smiled and began to caress his dorsal side of the left hand. He smiled, kept the photo on the table and looked at her. She removed her towel from the head and he got mesmerized by smelling her hair.

He said, " You smells like a fragrance. "

She picked up a cigar from the table and gave it to him who lit it with his lighter and began to smoke.

She said, " You looks handsome while smoking. "

" Oh really? "

She stood up from his lap and went to the balcony. Vedant's phone rang which was on the table.

He picked up the call.

He answered, " Yes son. I was about to call the driver. "

" Dad, I am with the driver. "

He chuckled, " Oh. How was the race son? "

Vinay was at the back seat of the moving car.

He answered, " Dad. "

After a long pause Vinay didn't speak anything else.

Vedant asked, " Yes son, what happened? "

" Dad, I lost the race. "

Vedant stood up in an astonishment.

" What? How? You are the champion of the game. "

" He is a new rider dad. "

" Who is he? "

" I don't know dad. He just entered at the last moment. "

" Oh. No problem son. Just come home. It's your favorite lunch today. Don't think much about that. "

Vinay hung up the call.

Murad, a man in his early forties used to live with his doberman at a duplex in a colony. He chopped some pieces of meat, put them inside a dog bowl and served it to his dog in the living room.

His phone rang. He came to the verandah and picked up the call.

He answered, " Yes sir. "

Vedant said, " Murad. "

" I am listening. "

" My alligators are starving today for a new bait. "

Murad chuckled.

" I'll bring the bait to you. "

Vedant smiled and hung up the phone.

During the lunch hour, Ayan purchased a sandwich with a paper plate from the cafeteria which was built on the ground floor of the building. He went to a table to have his meal. As he sat down, Sumesh came to him and sat before him on the chair with a coffee cup in his hand.

He wished him.

" Afternoon sir. "

" Afternoon. Enjoying the job? "

He sighed, " I am learning. It's not that complicated as I thought. "

" There are similarities between this one and the one which you had earlier used. "

Ayan began to have his sandwich.

Sumesh asked, " Had you went to Rishabh's engagement? "

He shook his head.

" I was not invited there sir. "

" What? He had told me that you both were in college together. "

" He was right. But he didn't call me there. "

" Oh. Well, I want to tell you something about the work. "

" Yes sir. "

" May be in a couple of weeks, Soniya's file work will be handed over to you. Actually she is on her notice period which will end in fourteen days. "

They both washed their hands in separate basins of the washroom.

Ayan asked, " Oh. She is going somewhere else? "

" She is not leaving the city. She is just changing her industry. She is going to join a resort where she had applied for the post of receptionist. "

Ayan wiped his hands with his handkerchief.

He said, " Sounds a bit strange. "

" In fact I am too shocked with her decision. She might be having some sort of personal issues. "

" Could be. "