A Strange Visit

Sitting in my room, I was already bored of the school holidays and it had only been two weeks. My best friend, Millie, was going on holiday today so I had nothing to do for four weeks. Not only that, but we'd been looking forward to starting secondary school together, planning it for years, yet she informed me yesterday her family were sending her to some boarding school in London. I was now terrified of starting school alone and miserable as she had now travelled down there to get everything she needed.

Millie and I had known each other since nursery. I remember meeting her for the first time. I'd always seen her but thought she looked kind of scary so I never really spoke to her. That was until I was sat playing with some cars and two little boys came running over to me and laughed because I was playing with toys "like a boy". Just then, a girl a little taller than me with bright blue eyes which her long fringe just about showed off thanks to her big, blue glasses and curly brown hair pulled into a pony tail and held in place by some sparkly pink and blue clips came running over.
"Shut up, Jamie!" The girl laughed, "yesterday I saw you playing with the barbie dolls." With this the boy ran off, bright red from embarrassment as the whole class heard and laughed and the girl sat besides me and asked to play. That day, I knew I'd made a friend for life.

Of course, we've agreed to stay in touch but I've never gone less than two weeks without seeing her and that was only because one of us were on holiday. Now, I'd only be writing her letters and seeing her about once a month, if that.

Still in a mood, I made my way downstairs to make myself a cup of tea. As I walked down the stairs, I heard a knock on the door. Although you can barely see a person through the small stained glass of the front door, I swear I could see someone wearing a witch's hat.
"Mum!" I called to the kitchen, "there's someone at the door."
Hearing her let out a small huff, she made her way to the door and quickly flung it open in order to quickly get back to what she was doing. Low and behold, stood in front of us was a tall elderly woman. She was dressed in a black and emerald robe and wore a black pointed hat over her tightly pulled back silver hair. Her lips pulled into a small smile as she glanced from my mum to myself.
"Is this the residents of Miss Maiya Swan?" The woman asked, my mum looking just as confused as I was.
"Yes." She frowned, "how do you know my daughter's name?"
"May I come in?" The woman grinned, to which I noticed her holding a small brown envelope addressed to me.
"I suppose." My mum frowned, standing back slightly in order to allow the woman to step into the hallway.
"My name is Minerva McGonagall." The woman smiled, "and I am the deputy head mistress and professor at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I've come here to give Miss Swan her acceptance letter."
"Is this some kind of joke?" My mum laughed, "look I don't know if you've escaped some kind of care home or mental asylum or if you're working for someone to play a sick prank but whatever it is you leave my daughter out of it!"
"I completely understand your concern, Mrs Swan." McGonagall returned, holding her hands up in defence, "please just let Maiya open her letter and I can explain some more."
Taking a small glance to my mum who was bright red with rage, I cautiously took the letter from the woman's hands and placed myself on the stairs to sit and open it. The envelope looked quite old or at least old fashioned and the fancy writing in ink. I turned the envelope over to see a big red wax stamp sealing the letter, a strange symbol on it. I squinted my eyes and leaned closer to get a good look at it. It seemed to be a crest holding a large letter "H" (which I assumed meant Hogwarts) in the middle and surrounded by a lion, badger, snake and eagle. Intrigued, I tore the letter open and pulled out the first piece of parchment inside.

The letter read:

Dear Miss Maiya Swan

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than June 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress

"You'll await my owl?" I frowned, looking up to the woman.
"We communicate in the wizarding work through sending letters by owls." The woman beamed, "you'll buy one when you buy your other school essentials at Diagon Alley, there's a list there of what you'll need."
"An owl?" My mum frowned, "Diagon Alley?"
"It's in London." The Professor nodded, "I'll escort yourself and Miss Swan there myself if you'd wish."
"It says I need," I interrupted now looking at the second piece of paper:

UNIFORM -
First year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS -
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 brass scales
Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEAR STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

"I've had enough of this!" My mum shouted, "it's rubbish with your wands and broomsticks and cloaks and Fantastic Beasts! It's all rubbish and I'd like you to leave now!"
"Mum, I believe her." I protested, standing off of the stairs.
"Maiya, you're a child!" My mum snapped back.
"With all do respect Mrs Swan, I can see how this is a shock to you but I can assure you this is all very real." The Professor spoke calmly, "allow me to show you."
With a sigh, my mum stepped back to give the woman some room, arms folded as she glared daggers in her. I stood myself up a couple of steps and eagerly watched her. She began inspecting a shelf of ornaments next to her. A small smile made its way onto her face as she pulled a wooden stick from her pocket and swished it towards a China dog. Without a second, the white dog began to float into the air to which she turned herself towards us and thus the dog moving with the wand's motion. I watched my mum's jaw drop as she witnessed the movement. Shaking her head she took hold of the ornament and placed it back onto the shelf.
"You've probably put string or something on it!" She snapped, though all of us knew that makes no sense.

Without missing a beat, the woman began to shrink before we were left with not a woman, but a grey fluffy cat. I felt my eyes in shock and looked at my mum who was equally as surprised. After a few seconds, the woman turned herself back for us now beaming from ear to ear. A moment of silence was casted upon us before my mum shakily cleared her throat.
"So, when do we get her stuff?"