Harry Potter

Making our way inside the castle, McGongall had instructed us to wait at the top of some stairs whilst she prepares the great hall for us. Draco and I stood on the steps, Crabbe and Goyle close behind us as we whispered about what could be happening next. Suddenly, Draco stopped talking and I noticed his eyes were caught on someone in front of us. I turned to see two boys stood where he looked, one with round glasses and messy, brown hair and the other with bright, ginger hair and dressed in a dusty, baggy robe.
"Is that-" Crabbe asked, noticing the boys also.
"It's Harry Potter." Draco told the boy, making me confused, who is Harry Potter? Everyone else seemed to know as the whispers grew which encouraged Draco to step forward.
"So it's true then," Draco spoke up, "Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts!"
Gasps and whispers emerged from the students around us who all turned to the boy who seemed to shy away from the attention. Draco, on the other hand, took in the attention as he grew closer to the wizard.
"This is Crabbe, Goyle and Maiya." He smiled, gesturing to the three of us stood behind him. It made me realise Draco has now labelled me as one of his friends which I couldn't help but feel honoured at.
"I'm Malfoy." He continued, "Draco Malfoy."
I beamed at the boy who was now stood face to face with the boy only to be sniggered at from the boy besides him. Frustration hit me as I stood confused as to what was so funny about Draco's name. With this, I made my way over to the three, standing firmly by Draco's side and glaring daggers upon the red head. Draco gave me a defeated glance before quickly turning his head to Harry's friend and giving him a sinister look.
"Think my name's funny do you?" The boy snapped, shocking me as I witnessed Draco loosing his cool for the first time, "I don't need to ask who you are. Red hair and hand-me-down robes? You must be a Weasley!" He sneered, I'd never seen this side of Draco before, but then again, the boy did laugh at his name. I was beginning to realise that different wizarding families must be well known and seen as different statuses. Apparently, the Wesleys being quite low.
"You'll soon discover that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter." Draco continued, turning his attention back to Harry who hadn't taken his eyes off of Draco this whole time, "You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you with that!"

Draco smiled and stuck out his hand for Harry to shake which I truly was expecting him to do. Instead, he looked Draco in the eye with a harsh look that I didn't like.
"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks." Potter replied, snakily to which  Draco stormed away. He seemed really hurt about the situation which I don't blame him for as the boy made fun of him first! I hadn't moved, staring at Harry and his friend who both seemed to be a little uneasy.
"I know you're aloud to pick your friends but you don't need to make Draco out to be the bad one when your friend laughed at him!" I snapped, Harry raising his eyebrows and his friend lowering his head in shame, "he did nothing wrong, he defended himself."

With this, I made my way back over to Draco who looked at me, eyes wide and a small smile on his face. I beamed back as the doors to the Great Hall swung open and McGonagall made her way towards us. Before entering the hall, Draco took hold of my arm once more and stopped me slightly from walking inside.
"Thank you." The boy whispered softly into my ear.
"No problem at all." I returned before glancing at the moving line and pulling Draco towards it.

Side-by-side, we began to march through the doors and were faced with stares from the students and teachers. I could feel my body trembling as I wandered up the isle. Hundreds of eyes were staring and I felt my cheeks further redden. Draco noticed this, taking hold of my hand which soon provided me comfort. His index finger traced up and down the back of my hand.
"It's going to be okay." The boy whispered into my ear. The thought of his presence instantly calmed my nerves and I believe he noticed this. He continued to hold my hand as we gathered with the group.

We were finally stood at the front of them all, face to face with a table of professors and an old witch's hat. McGonagall stood before us, bearing a long scroll which I assumed contained our names. I was in fact right, she explained that she would call each name who would step forward and place the hat on your head. I read in Hogwarts: A History that it will sit on your head and decide which house you are in. I have no clue how a hat can do that but I was excited to see.

She first called up a young girl named Jess. She looked nervous as she made her way up the steps and sat herself down on the stool. McGonagall began to slowly place the hat on her head. Within a second, a seam in the hat began to move as a small grunt irrupted from the hat. I was in shock, the hat was talking!
"You'd better be in Gryffindor!" It called, the hall erupting in applause to which I joined in. The girl smiled and wandered off to the Gryffindor table. Next was Draco, who looked at me nervously before releasing my hand and wandering over to the stool. McGongall barely had the hat touch his head before it released a booming shout.
"Slytherin!" Draco glanced to me, smirked slightly before rushing over to sit with the Slytherins. After a few more names, Harry Potter's name was called. I watched as the boy walked over to the hat as the hall released gasps and whispered that the famous Harry Potter was right here, though I still had no clue who he was. As the boy sat I watched his lips moving slightly which confused me until the Sorting Hat spoke once more.
"Not Slytherin, hey?" With this, I looked towards Draco who had an angered look in his eye, "I suppose it will have to be Gryffindor!"
I glanced towards Draco once more who looked somewhat wounded by Harry's actions. I did begin to think that it could be for the best, I'm unsure how those two being so close to one another all the time would go.

"Maiya Swan!" A call rang out which broke me from my thoughts. I realised Crabbe and Goyle had began to stare at me as I remembered I had to go up. I began shaking further as began to shuffle forward, feeling Draco's stare as I did so. This made me more nervous. I sat there waiting until the sorting hat was placed gently on my head.
"Well, you've got brains, loyalty and there's more than one house perfect for you," the hat boomed which made me jump slightly, however the smile Draco gave me from the Slytherin table immediately put me to ease, "However, the best house to put you in must be... Hufflepuff!"

A smile made it's way onto my face as I stood from the seat and made my way over to the Hufflepuff table. As I did, my eyes caught onto Draco who gave me a small smile though his eyes seemed quite sad which made me feel bad, also. Luckily, sitting down at the table, I noticed Billy and Olivia sat at the table laughing about something. Billy quickly noticed me, calling me over which I greatly accepted, smiling over to Draco once more as I did so.