Wizard's Chess

The next day, Draco and I spent all day together since we had no lessons. This gave me the chance to tell the boy all I knew about You Know Who, the philosopher's stone, Snape, Nicholas Flammel and the other enchantments protecting the stone.
"So this magical stone, which makes you immortal, has been given to Dumbledore by Nicholas Flammel to keep here? The professors, including Snape and Quirrell, helped with the enchantments to keep it in place, meaning either of them can get there at any point?" The boy repeated back.
"Exactly." I nodded, "why do you think Snape had that cut on his leg after the troll. He obviously let it in and went to get the stone but couldn't get past the dog. This is why we need to get in before he does!"
"But how do we get past the dog?" Draco frowned, myself realising we were still stuck. As if on cue, Harry, Ron and Hermione ran past us once again, making their way to Hagrid's hut.
"Let's follow them." I told the boy, "see if we can get anymore information."

Reluctantly agreeing, Draco followed me to Hagrid's hut which contained the trio by the time we arrived. I positioned us the same place as last time, however I made sure we weren't seen through the window this time. Listening in, I heard Hagrid talking about the man who gave him the dragon egg.
"This is useless, we need to go and-" Draco complained until I heard the word Fluffy (knowing from last time that this was the name of the three headed dog). I quickly shushed the boy, pressing my ear to the hut once more and the boy sighing as he made his way back.
"I told him you just play him some music and he'll go straight to sleep!" Hagrid's voice boomed making a smile appear on my face.
"Bingo!" I grinned, pulling the boy back to the castle before the trio caught us again.

"We're getting in the door tonight!" I instructed as we walked back towards the castle.
"And how do we play music?" Draco frowned, to which I shook my head.
"We'll just look in the library for a book which will help us find a spell to play music." I smiled, the boy happy with the idea.

We heard Harry, Ron and Hermione say they were going to get in tonight so Draco and I decided to do the same. We spent an hour perfecting a charm that sounded music through your wand and planned for Draco to knock on my common room door in order for us to make our way to the third floor together.

Surprisingly, this plan went smoothly as we readied ourselves with our wands and slowly opened up the door. As we did, we heard music playing and large snores coming from a giant three headed dog lay besides a trap door.
"Snape's already in!" I whispered to Draco, dragging him towards the door. The boy tried to push his way in first to protect me from whatever was down there but I didn't care. Pushing him back, I quickly opened the door and jumped in. The boy followed, annoyingly calling my name as he did so. We landed in some gooey vine things which I immediately hated the look of.
"What is this?!" I cried, kicking my legs and trying to heave my arms out of it which only caused it to grip onto me further.
"Don't move!" Draco ordered me, myself reluctantly stopping, "it's devil's snare. You need to remain calm and we'll fall through it into whatever is lying underneath."
"Okay." I spoke, my voice shaky as I questioned if he actually knew what he was talking about. Nevertheless, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, readying myself for whatever was to happen. I was suddenly dropped to a cold stone floor below me, Draco following besides me.

"Let's keep going!" I told the boy, walking towards a wooden door in front of us. Inside were a lot of keys flying around with a broom lying besides them.
"What do we do?" I frowned, Draco grabbing the broom.
"I'm guessing we need to find the right key to the door!" Draco spoke, though all of the keys looked the same! Suddenly, the door burst open with Harry, Ron and Hermione stood there.
"What are you two doing here?!" Harry questioned, Hermione looking around the room.
"Same as you." Draco smirked, to which Hermione broke the tension with a gasp.
"We need to get that key!" She called, pointing up towards an old, rusty-looking key with a broken wing, "it's the only one that fits the lock!"
Draco nodded, mounting the broom and quickly flying up to catch it in no time. We'd made it into the next room.

In this room was a giant chess board which we had to play to get through (I found this out when I was almost stabbed by the swords of the pawns when I tried to walk past the board). I noticed there were three missing pieces on our team, meaning Hermione and I had to stand and watch as Draco, Harry and Ron (who knew how to play chess well) completed the game. Harry took the left Bishop's place, Ron took the Queen side Castle and Draco was the right side Knight. The game began and we quickly discovered it was going to be exactly like wizard's chess as a pawn from one side mauled ours quickly. This meant if the boys weren't careful, it could get deadly!

By the end of the game, Ron had been cut slightly by the bishop on his lower leg when defeating one of the pawns and it was only a few moves left. Draco told the group that if he sacrificed his piece then Harry could check the king.
"Draco, no!" I shouted, "isn't there another move you can do?"
"No." Draco sighed, turning towards me, "I'll be fine."
Slowly, the queen made her way over to Draco, my heart pounding out of my chest. She took hold of her sword and stabbed it through Draco's horse, the boy collapsing to the floor and hitting his head off of the concrete board. As soon as Harry called checkmate, I rushed towards Draco and took him in my arms. Giving him a small shake, the boy didn't stir at all.
"Go." Hermione spoke besides me, "I'll take care of Draco and Ron. You and Harry go get the stone."
"Are you sure?" I frowned, the girl smiling.
"After the troll, I think we both know you're braver than I am."
"I'll take care of Harry." I nodded, the girl smiling as she watched us walk on in hopes of retrieving the Philosopher's stone.