Chapter 5 (21) We Board the Princess Andromeda

.

.

.

.

Percy told us about his conversation with Hermes. By the time he was finished, we could hear screeching in the distance – patrol harpies picking up our scent.

"Percy," Annabeth said, "we have to do the quest."

"We’ll get expelled, you know. Trust me, I’m an expert at getting expelled."

"So? If we fail, there won’t be any camp to come back to."

"Yeah, but you promised Chiron –"

"I promised I’d keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them –"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"No!" Annabeth’s voice sounded close to panic. "I mean … Percy, come on. You know that’s impossible."

I wondered again why she had such a grudge against Cyclopes. There was something she wasn’t saying.

While they talked I stared at the light scource in the distance. I think was a boat, it was floating on the water at the very least, so some type of ship.

"We can’t leave him," Percy decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Percy," Annabeth said, trying to keep her cool, "we’re going to Polyphemus’s island! Polyphemus is an S-i-k … a C-y-k…" She stamped her foot in frustration. As smart as she was, Annabeth was dyslexic, too. We could’ve been there all night while she tried to spell Cyclops. "You know what I mean!"

"Tyson can go," Percy insisted, "if he wants to."

Tyson clapped his hands. "Want to!"

"All right," she said. "How do we get to that ship?"

"Hermes said my father would help."

"Well then, Seaweed Brain? What are you waiting for?"

"Um, Dad?" Percy called. "How’s it going?"

"Percy!" Annabeth whispered. "We’re in a hurry!"

"We need your help," Percy called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so…"

At first, nothing happened. The sounds of waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then... I don't know heard something in ocean coming towards, which prompted me to hide behind Annabeth.

Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!"

The silouhettes did look like horses from what I could tell. So pony part totally. Their were three in total.

"Hippocampi!" Annabeth said. "They're beautiful."

The nearest one whinnied in appreciation and nuzzled Annabeth.

"We’ll admire them later," Percy said. "Come on!"

"There!" a voice screeched behind us. "Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!"

Five of them were fluttering over the top of the dunes. They weren’t very fast, thank the gods, but they were vicious if they caught you.

"Tyson!" Percy said. "Grab a duffel bag!"

He was still staring at the hippocampi with his mouth hanging open.

"Tyson!"

"Uh?"