Chapter 77: -Kazuya- Fire Dancers and Snow Darts

The conversation had been on food all day. Nikki was chatting with customers, Ayane had been talking about radishes of all things. What are you going to eat for New Year's? I was personally thinking about tonight. We'd be taking Gyeong-Wan to Nikki's apartment again, if he wanted to go. Wouldn't he? Sudden nervousness. We'd be making soba, which was Nikki's request, and watching Kouhaku Uta Gassen, the annual New Year's Eve boys versus girls war between musicians on NHK. I'd eagerly read the predicted list of performers for this year, and it included several Korean pop groups. It made my heart bubble up, excited to share this cultural moment with him. He didn't like that kind of music, but maybe we could-

"By the way, Kazu. About that ten thousand yen from last night? I can't put it on the books, because she technically didn't buy anything. That's your tip, you lucky dog. Dammit. I wish it had been me." 

I popped out of my swimming thoughts. "Oh? Oh-okay... That makes me nervous." The money was still in the cash register, now uncertain. "Maybe we can use it to improve the shop somehow. Do we need new lightbulbs?" 

"No, I replaced them two months ago. You watched me." Nikki was grooming his nails, practically not paying attention to me. As if ten thousand yen were nothing. 

"Maybe we can buy some more for next time. Buy some cleaner, too. Do we need a new mop-?" 

He sighed at me. "No, that money is yours. We have all that we need. What are you so nervous about?"

"I don't know. I don't feel right taking it. I wanted to be kind to her, but she paid..."

He put his hand on his hip. "You were kind to her. She was kind back." 

My hand went on my opposite elbow. He poked my arm, which was my signal to stop it. "Okay, I guess..." I didn't know what to say. 

"Hmm, anyway." He went back to fussing with his nail cuticles. "I bought the soba. I'm going to make Miyuki cook it. She's better at it. Toshikoshi soba! I bet you she's made it before. She's going to fight me, though, because she's cooking for tomorrow, too. I can hear it now: 'I just cooked for about one-hundred people and now you're making me cook!' But I'm not going to torture us with my cooking. She'll know that. Hey, speaking of tomorrow, is Gyeong-Wan going to be in drag for the brunch?"

That made me jump. Tomorrow. It was technically a drag brunch, but a pretty casual one. No stage or anything. With us, people would expect us to be in drag and semi putting on a show. I wanted to, for them. It was a somber day, because so many of us didn't have a family to celebrate with. It wasn't only people from the neighborhood coming, but many people we'd known over the years who'd moved away. They came year after year, wanting to share with us. We shared with them, embracing them as family. A precious family meal, for all of us. They deserved a little entertainment, too, and that's where we came in. Get them to laugh, forget about the sad circumstances.

Gyeong-Wan. He didn't feel like he could go back to his family. At least, not this year. I didn't want to pressure him to be in drag and perform for people. He didn't need to do that. He needed to be at this meal just like everyone else. 

"I don't know," I answered honestly. "I don't want to pressure him to if he doesn't want to. I want this to be special for him."

"Oh shoot, that's right." Nikki snapped his fingers in realization. "He needs to be able to go back to his hotel, too, in case his staff needs him, right? I wasn't thinking. He said that yesterday."

Relief washed over me. "Yes, he did. You're totally right."

"I knew it." 

The bell chimed and we snapped up. "Welcome to French Cup!" We both said loudly in unison. An older woman who sometimes came in here settled down in her usual seat, acknowledging us with a head nod. Her usual order flashed in my mind, but Nikki was quicker.