Chapter 103: -Gyeong-Wan- What Kind of Chinese Food Do You Want?

The lyrics to ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me" were still going through my head as I sat in the hotel's basement meeting room. I'd looked them up in Korean after the song became stuck in my head, ringing in my ears, the infectiousness of it total and complete. While everyone had danced around us to more disco tunes, I'd stopped momentarily with Kazuya and we'd looked at my phone to see the lyrics so I could better understand. He'd been so patient with me, so giving, when I'd received the phone call from my general manager. Then, the text. Then the other texts.

Emergency meeting right now. Emergency. Come to the basement.

How much Kazuya had laughed. This boy, who I'd been reflecting on as we danced. It was as if I'd seen our entirety together up until when we'd been dancing. The first time I'd looked into his eyes, how angry they'd flashed, because I'd ruined his sugar animals. The chocolate drops he'd given to me so soon after, when I'd knocked over the display. The bunny breads we'd shared, how nervous I'd been. Telling him I'm gay. Those intimate moments we'd shared. Every touch of his body. His warmth. 

He'd risen my phone up to Nikki, yelling an explanation of the text. Nikki had laughed wickedly and told everyone with the megaphone what was happening. How everyone had laughed with him, this first victory. Because, we knew exactly what the meeting was going to be about. There wasn't any doubt in my heart about it. 

Except, sitting here now, I felt more like a spy for the other side than anything resembling on the hotel's. My chest was pretty much puffed out like a proud bird. No doubt my face looked smug. This feeling was weird to me, but how welcome. Nothing could tear me down after what I'd just witnessed. 

"UGH," my general manager sighed loudly, his hands slamming on the table. Just a few days ago, we'd all been in the same room with Matsuda-san. How small I'd felt then compared. I'd thought I had something then, but I never could have imagined what I'd have a few days later.

They were still partying out there. True to their word, they weren't going anywhere. The man I loved was still dancing with his friends in the street.

"We have to call the police," my general manager sighed, his hand going through his hair as he turned to the white board on the wall. He'd already written out our suggestions, but they were all bullshit. Nobody was on his side, it was obvious and clear. "Nobody has suggested the police yet."

"Let's order Chinese food," the kitchen manager said, almost interrupting him. He shrugged at everyone else and they shrugged back at him, coming to an agreement.

There was no way our general manager would win. He was already defeated, but he didn't know.

"Chinese-!" He started.

"Well, we're going to be here for a while!" The maintenance manager growled, irritated. "Obviously! Have you thought of anyone but yourself?"

"They're on every news channel! They're blocking the street! At this rate, they'll make it to the nightly news!" He was growing more desperate. He picked up the TV remote from the middle of the table in a wild gesture and looked like he was going to throw it at the TV in here, but instead turned it on. And just as promised, there they were. 

They were dancing to Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" now. I could not hide the smile on my face. I don't know how long we'd been down here, but my general manager was right. There were news vans among the crowd now, from many networks. No doubt, there were reporters and cameras everywhere. My friends' own cellphones were out in the live feed, probably taking even more video for social media. It was everywhere and would be even more places shortly. It was spreading, like gorgeous wildfire.

Like a divine placement, a news reporter came onto the screen from a studio, the live feed minimized but still there. A poll was on the screen. "As this poll clearly shows," the reporter was saying, "seventy percent of Japanese people think same-sex marriage should be legalized. In the past week, a coffee shop which flew the LGBT Pride flag was attacked on New Year's Day-"