Chapter 19

That same night, it took thirty minutes until someone else could find them. Mrs Jeon had abandoned them in favor of saving people who meant more.

It was a dark little story about what it meant to be a normal person in a rich society.

Two hearts were killed that night. She knew it when her father's heart stopped beating. She felt it against her palm.

She was young but she understood all that happened. Her eyes were slick with tears she couldn't let out.

Her mother sat beside with his head on her lap, not letting out a sound; the three of them, left alone in the cold.

"Your mother ruined me, Jungkook," her voice for a moment showed the pain she kept inside herself for years. "She ruined everything I loved."

Jungkook did not move, he just stood there, even as Ara was walking towards him.

"And now she'll watch as I set her world on fire."

The reason why his mother hid herself for years. Back then, he missed her too much to ever ask why she was gone and hiding herself from the media all of the sudden.

Then he thought. 'Mr and Mrs Kim.'

"Y/n's parents, idiot," Ara said as if she could read his thoughts. "Why do you think your father wanted you to marry Y/n? For a mere business partnership? He was more tolerable than your mother, and just thought he was keeping you all safe if anything like me was supposed to happen."

The lights were off andJungkook didn't make a move to get away.

He looked down at her tight fist, as if she was holding in all her emotions in her palm, and he felt like his own heart would stop beating as his mind finally understood the gravity of the situation.

She could do anything now if all these years, she made people believe she was just a cliché gold digger character in the story, and never once did anyone know the real her.

He realized that he was inevitably going to be kidnapped again.

-

Your phone displayed the notification of a text message from Eric you didn't bother to read twice.

Instead you focused on the fact that Rihanna was chewing you out for extending Jieun and Lisa's stay in South Korea.

"Girl you're gonna bankrupt their companies if you keep sending them away," she stated, judging you so hard for a second as you chugged vodka from a hip flask.

"They said they love me and that I can bankrupt them if I want," you said nonchalantly, lounging on the patio. "Bankruption is an improbable event for us so chill the fuck out and stop swearing, will ya?"

"So you think we shouldn't be cussing?" She rolled her eyes so hard they might fall out of their sockets. "Don't talk shit."

Letting out an exasperated groan, you scrolled through your phone, texting Eric that you'd take care of things from here.

"What did he say?" Rihanna dropped beside you on the couch, flicking your forehead.

"Rock, paper, scissors." You mumbled, resting your head on her shoulder and closing your eyes. You were so close to falling asleep.

"What's that supposed to mean," she asked again, waiting as you shuffled to get more comfortable.

"Rock, paper," you mumbled again. "A friendship."

"The common hatred you and Ara have within yourselves," she noted, raising a hand up to run her fingers through your soft locks.

"Paper, scissors," you added, eyes opened as you thought of your parents, Ara's father. "A murder."

You stared at the custom-made Harley Quinn figurine in the corner of the patio.

Then you remembered, Joker didn't jump into the vat of acid because he loved Harley. They were the example of a toxic relationship.

One happy moment to forget all the wrong ever done.

"Rock, scissors," you raised your head from her shoulder, with no other thought in your head, like a blank stare.

"What's that?" Riri asked again as you looked up at the starry sky, the moon nowhere to be seen.

Like people. Gone when needed. Watching when someone's world fell apart.

"A revenge."