Chapter 12

Don't get mad. Get even.

"Flowers," you mumbled, staring at the colorful hues with no emotion- an effect of jet lag, before eventually smiling while staring at the box of chocolates in your hand.

Your men had been told to stand down the street, and not interfere until they're asked to.

This was a time that you didn't want anyone else involved. So the fewer people, the more better.

With a sigh, you pressed the switch to the doorbell, hearing footsteps as response from the other side, making you all giddy for some reason.

Then the front door opened, greeting you with someone who was definitely not expecting to see you now, if ever, that is, and you spoke, still smiling.

"I'm back, eomma."

~

All that followed was a full blown explosion of sobs as you were hugged, your former father-in-law, as he used to be, rushing out hearing the cries, only to be the next one that did so.

You could say that they almost didn't believe you were real, that you were back after all these years.

But it had them wondering when they knew you knew Jungkook wasn't here, what had you returned for.

"I'm not going to ask forgiveness for him," his father said, while someone you considered like your mother sat beside you, caressing your head. "But I can't-"

"It wasn't your fault, appa," you cut off his words. "It isn't your burden to bear. It's his."

With nothing else to say initially, he just looked down, nodding his head. "There is always a first time and a second chance. First one is an untouched lesson life has yet to teach. Second will always be a matter of choice."

That was just a whisper within yourself, that flutter which starts a tiny plea in you and fights to grow.

You went back to the familiar mixture of sadness and rage, a particular anguish, the pursuit of which has become a personal mission.

"There's one more thing I want to talk to you both about," you finally spoke up, placing the cup of tea back on the table.

"Tell us, aegi," your erstwhile mother-in-law said softly.

"Have you ever come across Ara Jin?" You asked, and watched them being overcome with a sort of angst.

"It's hard not to have come across that name after everything that's happened," the middle aged man spoke up first. "Why would she be of any relevance now?"

"She is," you were quick to answer, staring at them for a moment longer before you added. "I might have to say I know why you hid yourself away all those years, eomma."

The pallor appearing on their faces was hard to miss; perhaps they told themselves that things only looked wrong when there was someone to see them, but now that there was...