Chapter 22

Jungkook stared at Ara for a few seconds. His mind still registering the scene he was presented with.

The blood from the side of her head, her closed eyes, limp body.

"S-She's-"

"Not dead," you said, looking at him. "The stab hurts too much when you're awake. Like cognitive recalibration. Just a graze on her head. She'll live."

-

Rihanna waited outside, with as much patience she could muster.

In reality, she just wanted to grab the machine gun from the back of the car, get in, get it over and done with.

She didn't like poetry. She liked to paint the town red.

Carrie was basically her biography. Rejected by everyone until she fully released the demon within her. For all the laughs, the kicks, the loathing. They paid back. With blood.

And a case for serial murders that took place in the span of a month, three years back, still remains unsolved.

She recognized your silhouette at a distance, walking out of the warehouse, with another one following.

"Finally," she sighed and turned around to your gang members who paid their full attention.

Each with a story of their own, your most elite killers and field experts.

"It's a half a mile long warehouse built with enhanced resilience. Explosives will be placed  across the area until it's sure this place will be down in ashes before the sun rises."

Neither you nor Jungkook heard Rihanna while she spoke. But you knew it all. He looked at them, clueless, while trailing behind you.

Imagine someone giving instructions to blast your property right in front of you and you never hear it.

"And the girl inside, get her out. She needs to stay alive," you added when you arrived. With a snap of your fingers, they dispersed to do their task while half of them stood by.

You placed your gun in Rihanna's hand and signaled Jungkook to one of the cars.

One of your men guided him, giving him a water bottle because he sure looked dehydrated, assigning himself to be the temporary caretaker.

Ripping the bloodied overcoat off from your body, you threw it away for another one to catch.

You were exhausted.

It's like one of those times after you've been to the extreme of an emotion, and everything feels surreal. You start questioning everything.

Maybe it has to be fine after this.

No more loose ends. Ara would be befriending doctors in the hospital for a few weeks. Then she would be dealt with and taken care of in your custody.

But a jab in your chest. An uneasy feeling that had your toes curled and nails drawing out blood from your palm.

It wouldn't go away.

Leaning back on the hood of your car, you breathed unsteadily, chewing on your lower lip.

You faced the night sky, eyes closed as you listened to the rustling of the people around you for some time.

Ara being carried out; Riri instructing the rest about what else has to be done with the newspapers and television.

Seated in another car, the door opened and legs out, Jungkook was wrapped in a blanket.

You opened your eyes.

He was looking at you, with a kind of desperation and helplessness that was visible on his face.

It was seeing you after all this time and yet, not being able to hold you in his arms.

He had to stay until you'd be willing to talk to him.

It wasn't his call to make; he's not the one who's most hurt here.

You stared back at him and almost saw his lips quiver.

The feeling got worse.

"Riri," you called and she stopped with her instructions to turn to you. "I'm going for a drive."

You spared a glance at Jungkook who was almost ten feet away from your car, and straightened your posture.

"Come with me," with that, Rihanna gave a nod to the ordnance expert she was talking to, and was about to start walking to the car.

You were still not facing anyone in particular, just randomly at a distance.

"Not you," you stopped her on her tracks and sauntered to the driver's side. "Jungkook."