Chapter 18

Monsters aren't born. They're created.

-

The night presented itself in a sudden downpour, drenching the people that walked the streets.

Their love, like the rain, nourished from above, with a soaking joy.

Holding hands, they walked between the raindrops.

"I didn't know it would rain today," he mumbled, a hint of disappointment in his voice as he stared up at the sky, hand still over his head.

"No one can predict the weather, yeobo," his wife reminded, not looking at him, but with a small smile on her face. She knew how much he looked forward to going out for a family dinner that night.

They finally stopped under the shelter provided by a closed shop's extended roof, leaning back against the stone wall.

He felt a small tug on his overcoat and looked down at the little girl that stood beside him.

She wasn't forgotten. Just walking a step ahead and enjoying the rain like she wanted to.

"Did you forget that we've to buy me cupcakes too, appa?" She asked, peering up at him adorably.

"Of course I didn't, aegi," he said after a small yet comical gasp, indicating that he was shocked that his princess would even think that her wishes would be forgotten by him. "You screamed my ears out this morning about it."

"I wonder who she got that from," her mother standing on the other side spoke quietly.

"Jagi," he said in a cautious whisper, covering his daughter's ears with his palms.

"She wouldn't hear it," she replied with a shrug, making her husband sigh.

Once again, she just smiled at his handsome face and leaned in to place a kiss on his cheek.

Small moments like this she realizes yet again how much she loves him.

She didn't want to be one of those parents that never got romantic in front of their children. She wanted her daughter to know this is how you're treated by someone you love.

"You know I'd die for you both, right?" She asked, gazing at him like he held the universe in his eyes.

Still holding his daughter's hand, he turned his head to face her, and felt his heart falling all over again.

"That's too easy," he said in a soft tone. "Just live for us."

She stared at him for a second longer before leaning forward, capturing his lips with hers.

Her eyelids closed, all her other senses still from his sweetness, needing his total attention and love.

His hand caressing her cheek was tender, making her shiver, full of longing.

Their daughter has been the happiest when she'd see her parents together. In the happiest of her memories, she was with them.

It reminded her where home was. For her, it was with them, or nowhere at all.

The rain bid farewell and the kiss felt lingering even after they pulled away.

He rested his forehead against hers, her brown waves falling in front of her eyes as he looked into them.

"Shall we leave now?" He asked, the corner of his lips lifting up the slightest and she nodded.

They watched as their little one started off before them, holding hands again as they walked behind her.

Everything was perfect. The only foreshadowing you'll be given that things are moments away from going wrong.

There was just one car that came driving towards them, on the right lane. Nothing wrong.

And there was one behind, speeding up, the driver losing control of the wheel. He could hear it even when it wasn't very close.

Their daughter was on the side of the pavement away from the road. But his wife, right with him.

Only a second to do whatever he could. To do something because there wasn't time to give a second thought.

When he heard the car behind him even closer, he pushed his wife away towards their daughter, then he felt it.

He was aware of what was going to happen. It played in his mind like images. It was almost like watching a movie.

He felt the first impact on his back, one that numbed all his feelings, and the second was when he was thrown to the pavement, his head knocked against the hard ground once, then twice.

That's the moment when two souls were crushed. The look in their eyes, an embodiment of shock, fear, pain. It was all together, and at the same time, nothing.

The car door opened, a person got down hastily, ceasing to breathe for a moment as they stared at the scene.

"No," was all the person mumbled, hands over their mouth, throat tightening out of pure fear and tears threatening to form in their eyes.

They walked forward to do something, but stopped abruptly, turning their head to face another car.

From the other lane. They had collided into it right after hitting the pedestrian.

The front of that car was mangled, the wheezed breaths of the couple sitting in the front could be heard. A very familiar couple.

The small girl, as silent tears streamed down her cheeks, heard her mother manage to whisper for help to the person that stood in front of them.

She didn't understand why they'd run off to the other car without paying another glance to her father.

In a trance, she looked around to get a sense of reality of what was happening around her.

The fancy number plates on the car. The car that showed there was no rainbow after the storm for her.

It reminded her of the names she'd often see on the news with her father.

Jeon industries.

And the woman that hit her father was talking on the phone to someone. All she heard was a few words. 'Lost control.' 'Hit them.' 'Mr and Mrs Kim.'

But her father was left there beside her lap with no one else to take care of him.

His legs were positioned weirdly. There was blood coming out of his mouth. He was struggling to breathe, and her mother was sobbing.

She felt his hand reach out to her, weakly caressing her face and trying to wipe away her tears.

His wife held his hand tightly, and he felt that she believed he'd make it through this.

But he felt himself grow cold, and mustered up the minimal strength he had for one last whisper of his daughter's name.

"Ara."