Chapter 1

beep, beep, beep

Mission 15 completed

March 15th, 2025.

Base: Report back to Lt. Smith and get ready for move out...|

The mission pad turns off.

You return to your base to prepare your belongings and leave at approximately 1830 hours.

(Small backstory: This is the last mission you'll complete with your first team since you joined the military. You were recruited at the age of 18 years old. The experience you gained over the past four years helped you engage in many missions with your team and develop vital companionship. It almost felt like a brother/sisterhood for you. But Lt. Smith and superiors saw something in your work more, so they relocated you to Task Force 141.)

You headed towards your barracks and collected your things. You were making sure that everything was settled and ready for moving. Suddenly, you heard a knock on your door, and your thoughts disappeared. You headed towards the door and looked through the peephole; it was one of your teammates, Mike Winston.

"Oh! Hey Mike.." You said as you unlocked the door and let him inside. You two hugged and smiled softly at each other.

"I know I'm late, but... I heard you leaving tonight." He said as he pulled away and sat at the desk beside the bed.

"Yeah... it feels off, but it's what the Lieutenant and superiors wanted. I can't go against their orders." You said as you kept packing your bags and placed them by the door.

"Y/N, look, even though it's been four years, you pulled this team together. You deserve this opportunity, and everyone knows how hard you've worked. I'm going to miss you the most, though...". He said as his hands relaxed behind his head and smiled. It didn't look happy, but it was a supportive one.

You sat on your used-to-be-bed and smiled back at him. "Thanks, Mike... I wish I could stay...but I have this gut feeling that something great will happen, you know?"

He tilts his head and looks at you. "How so?"

You shrugged and looked down with a smile on your face. "I'm not sure, but it's just a feeling...". You looked back at him and sighed, then back down to look at the time. It was 1750 hours.

"I should get going." I picked up my tactical backpack full of clothes and headed towards the door. Mike followed behind me and helped with a big duffel bag containing all my tactical gear. We headed towards the helicopter site, and Lt. Smith awaited me.

"Just in time, Private Y/L/N. Thank you for helping her, Private Winston." He shook my hand as he smiled. "The helicopter should be here any minute now." He looks back up and down, checking the time.

You nodded as you felt Mike tap your back. As you turn, he gives you a warm hug and pulls away. "See you someday, Y/N..".

"I'll see you... someday.." you smiled back and nodded at him. "Thanks for everything, Mike, and tell the others that I'll miss them. Call me anytime you want, alright?"

He nodded and stayed beside you as the helicopter became noticeable from the distance.

The Lieutenant turns towards me. "Well, Y/N, I wish you luck on this new journey. And kid, don't forget about us..." smiled softly, something rarely seen coming from him. He pulls in for a hug and pulls back. He was always like a father figure to you, and leaving him felt difficult.