Road to Revenge Badge Seven: Subjective Beauty

Marshal took a deep breath to calm his nerves under the evening sun as he walked into Tulip's gym, still shaken to say the least after the ordeal he had experienced. Yet he carried on all the same, not sure what else to do and tight on time.

Marshal approached the doors only for them to be held open for him. He turned to see Nemona with a gentle sadness to her expression, "Hey man... you doing OK?"

"It's been one of those days," Marshal sighed shaking his head, "Did Iono tell you what happened?"

"She said to check on you," Nemona replied, "But also that she couldn't tell me what happened as it wasn't really her place to say."

"Well I appreciate her respecting my privacy but you can go ahead and tell our family about this," Marshal sighed looking up at the gray cloudy skies. "Ubel confronted me the highest peak of Paldea and he just... Arceus what do I even say?"

"Whatever you're comfortable with I guess," Nemona shrugged. She sighed, "Sorry I... really don't know what to do here? Worst stuff I ever dealt with was helping Arven cope with his dead parent in Area Zero and... well he was kinda already half to accepting that."

"He showed me her body, Nemona," Marshal wiped a tear from his eye half sobbing. "And he was gonna cut my arms off. I couldn't do... anything to fight back."

Nemona froze, unsure what to say. What could she say to something like that? She tried to think of anything to cheer Marshal up and forced a smile. "Silver lining: we can give Madeline a proper burial. That's something right?"

Marshal chuckled. She wasn't wrong, that was a small upside, and maybe it would give him some closure. "Yeah I guess it would be nice to properly have a funeral. Though she always wanted one of those celebration of life things instead so... when we do that we should keep that in mind."

"Yeah that sounds like her," Nemona nodded, "She was always so full of life wasn't she?"

The two fell into silence for a moment unsure what to say.

Nemona opened her arms to offer a hug in an attempt to comfort Marshal. Marshal accepted, embracing his sister for a moment, the gentle hug offering reminder he may have lost Madeline, but he still had other family. Afterwards Marshal inquired, "Any tips for battling Tulip? Cause I do need to continue on that."

Nemona nodded, "She's a psychic type specialist and overall she's a kind person. I think this is nothing Wick couldn't handle honestly. If you haven't healed your Pokémon yet you could-"

"Sweep through with Wick using Last Respects and a choice scarf cause the rest of my team fainted on the journey?" Marshal inquired with a grin like he was proud of himself.

Nemona high fived Marshal, "Yeah exactly! You got this dude." The two walked into the gym together, Marshal and Nemona each tried to hold the door for the other before Nemona nodded insisting Marshal enter first to be polite.

Marshal sighed up for the gym trial before the receptionist inquired, "You're Marshal?"

Marshal nodded, "Yes, why?"

The receptionist explained with a smile, "Oh don't worry. Tulip simply wanted to speak with you is all. She'll be here shortly."

"OK," Marshal shrugged before sitting in the reception area next to Nemona. He inquired to her, "Hey so do you just wanna hangout while I get this badge?"

Nemona nodded, "Yeah." She took a somber tone, "Honestly... Iono mentioned she didn't want you traveling alone. So she asked me to accompany you for a bit. Given what you told me we don't want Ubel coming back."

Marshal sighed with a deep sadness. He felt the sense of fear return, "You're right he could. Ugggghhhh. I hate my life."

Nemona assured, "Hey. Hey. It's OK. We'll get through this. All of us will."