Going Supernova Badges Four and Five: Self Defense Lessons

Marshal shook his head and assured Arven, "No. I can do this. Besides we're running out of time."

"Are you sure you're gonna be OK?" Demanded sternly with genuine concern.

Marshal nodded, "Yeah... besides the longer I wait the more upset Eri and Ortega are gonna be.

Arven nodded, "That is true, isn't it? Look just, when this is over, take some you time, aight? You can't keep burning the candle at both ends, you know? Gotta take care of you too or then you won't be able to help anyone, let alone your own happiness which is more important."

Marshal nodded, "I will Arven, I promise."

Arven accompanied Marshal to the next Team Star base to ensure he wouldn't get jumped by Ubel. Their conversations along the way were lighter as the two entered a large flower field. Flowers of all the colors danced in the wind, Flabèbè cried playfully as they danced in the flowers.

Marshal looked towards Ortega's Team Star base. He hoped Ortega was alright but each Team Star member seemed more angry with him than the last. He had a hunch this trend would continue with Ortega.

"I can take it from here," Marshal assured.

"Good luck," Arven pat Marshal on the back, "Call me if you need me."

Arven left, and Marshal approached the base, tearing through Ortega's forces like a hot knife through butter. After doing so he awaited Ortega's arrival. He looked around, finding the other members of Team Star confused as he was.

He turned to one, "Hey uhhhhh... where's the boss?"

The grunt shrugged. Marshal walked towards Ortega's tent, looking for him. The grunts knew that they had already been defeated and that Marshal meant their leader no harm so they simply allowed him to pass.

Ortega sat in his tent, petting his Dachsbun, which napped peacefully in his lap. He didn't turn to face Marshal as he entered, and spoke with a callous bitterness. "You're not welcome here. Leave."

"Uh," Marshal replied confused, "I was... well I wasn't really a member but... I know the rules. We battle now."

Marshal walked forward, worried now, "Are... are you OK Ortega?"

"And why should I?" Ortega demanded dodging Marshal's question. "So you can run away again?"

"Ortega I know I'm late," Marshal sighed, "But... my sister died. What was I supposed to do? I... it hurt all of us Ortega, and I'm sorry I shut you out. However I just... I was broken, dude. I still am."

Ortega snapped around in his chair, startling his dog, which looked up at him worried. Ortega revealed he had been crying as he screamed in his fury, "BUT WHERE WERE YOU? YOU PROMISED ME YOU WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE!"

Back before Madeline's death, Ortega and Marshal were hanging out on the beach outside the Team Star base. The two had made a game of jumping over the Wugtrio as they hid in their rocky homes. Marshal sat down, taking a break from the game and looking out at the sun setting over the sparkling deep blue, contrasting the brilliant orange and red hues of the sky lit ablaze by the star closest to Earth.

"Man," Ortega admitted sitting by Marshal in the sand, "I'm anxious about tomorrow, dude."

"What are the bullies gonna do?" Marshal reminded, "They'll gonna crap themselves when they see those Starmobiles."

"Yeah but..." Ortega sighed, shaking his head, "I don't know how the director and deputy director will react. Ubel seems the type to try to silence us cause it could damage his career."

Unaware of the horrors he would soon commit, Marshal assured, "He's DEPUTY director. He's not exactly some God lording over us. I do get a bad vibe from him sure, but he can't do anything, especially in front of so many. Besides, if he pulls anything, we have each other. I'll be here for you bro. Always."