The Harsher Times Badge Four: Beach and Bonds

Marshal walked across the winding grassy hills of Paldea, his Pokémon by his side as he neared the Secluded Beach.

It wasn't exactly a difficult journey, the wild Pokémon along the way were of little issue. During his journey Marshal considered grabbing a new Pokémon for his team, knowing he lacked a water type and could use the extra help after that close battle with Larry but alas, none seemed to call to him and he would not capture one he could not provide a loving home to.

So he arrived to see Nemona and Iono making small talk. Nemona continued, "...yeah, I do think you're stronger than you give yourself credit for though. I would love to battle sometime."

Iono chuckled, "Sure sounds fun! Not right now though I'm not in the mood to battle besides we're waiting on-" Iono smiled as Marshal turned the corner, "Oh! There you are! Over here Marshal!"

Arven looked up from a large metal bowl set over a campfire where he and Penny were cooking on something with a spicy, savory scent. Penny looked up and waved shyly to Marshal. Marshal waved back uneasily. They had not spoken directly since Madeline died and neither was really sure how the other felt about them. Arven happily greeted Marshal, "Hey dude! Over here! I need some berries!"

Marshal slung off his backpack. Sparky ran up to Iono who scratched the Growlithe behind the ear as Paws laid in the sand for a quick nap. Meanwhile Grips laid on his their back floating in the water to relax as Wick ran into the water to play with Penny's vaporeon.

Marshal inquired as he dug through his backpack "What kind you need?"

Arven replied, "Anything spicy or sweet. I'm making Galarian curry."

Marshal handed him some pomeg berries for the curry. Arven smiled, "Thanks man. Sorry I'm a little focused we'll talk more in a second."

Marshal nodded in understanding before walking over to say hi to Nemona and Iono. The three made small talk as Arven looked up at Penny and sighed, "You should really... talk to him about everything."

"How do I even approach him about something like this?" Penny inquired.

"That evidence would be enough to ruin Ubel if Marshal had the credibility of champion," Arven sighed, "And you told me, you all considered him family once. Why not again?"

Penny sighed, "Fine. Fine just... I'll handle this."

Penny got up and tapped Marshal on the shoulder, "Hey. Can we talk?"

"Yeah sure," Marshal replied.

"What's wrong?" Nemona inquired.

"Does she know?" Penny inquired.

"I'll tell her all the details later," Marshal whispered back. He then explained, "It's... personal. We'll be back in a second."

The two walked to the side. Marshal began to speak first, "I'm sorry I didn't talk to any of you after-"

"I have footage of the murder," Penny stated.

Marshal froze, shock in his eyes. "You... what?"

"When I learned Madeline was going to speak to Ubel..." Penny explained.

In the past Penny sat at the edge of the docks to leave for Galar, she heard footsteps approach from behind. Madeline sat beside her, "Cassiopeia."

"Madeline," Penny replied. "Look my boat is gonna be here any second. We need to handle whatever you called me for quickly."

"Ubel knows either me or Marshal are trans," Madeline sighed, "And I think he's gonna try to hurt whichever of us he thinks is. He doesn't know which one so my plan is to lie and-"