Chapter 26

Danbi sat outside on one of the outdoor lounges with a drink in her hand, letting the ice in the glass mindlessly swirl in the mixture of soda and alcohol.

Nobody was outside besides her. Everyone had fun inside, dancing or joining in on doing karaoke. It was more like a live concert with the majority being idols.

Danbi looked over her shoulder for a few seconds, watching her loved ones with a smile on her lips before turning and letting her eyes wander over the skyline.

She was missing her parents. Her heart was aching for the deceased. She wanted to celebrate with them, hug them, laugh with them and introduce them to new friends.

Danbi sighed and wiped away the few tears that ran down her cheeks before drinking the remains of her drink. A sweet burn.

"Danbi?" His husky voice made goosebumps appear on her arms in a good way. She looked up at the young leader, a small smile finding its way on her lips.

"Hi." Danbi moved to the side, signalling that she could sit next to her. Chan moved to that spot. He was smiling as well, shyly.
Having his eyes on her, he noticed the sad look in her eyes.

"Everything okay?" he asked concerned, eyebrow furrowed. Dambi nodded, focusing on the eyes remaining eyes in her glass.

"Just needed a moment for myself," Danbi closed her eyes for a moment to get herself under control. "Days like this are hard since their deaths." The alcohol made her brutally honest.

She turned her head towards him, tears in her eyes. Without thinking Chan reached for her and pulled her into a side hug.
Danbi leaned her head against his shoulder, closing her eyes again.

"I know saying this won't help," Chan whispered. "But I'm sorry, Danbi." He rubbed her upper arm.

"Thank you."

They stayed in this position for a few minutes. Tears ran down her face before she took a deep breath, sat up straight up again and pat away the tears. His hand was still resting on her upper back.

"Is anything smudged?" Danbi asked the male, looking at him. He immediately shook his head, not finding words suddenly. Seeing her beauty close up, took his breath away.

"Danbi," Chan blurred, she tilted her head a bit. A habit of hers. "I want to apologize." he took away his hand and turned his whole upper body to her.

Danbi looked at him confused. "Chan, there is nothing to apologize for."

Chan shook his head. "I was selfish, Danbi. I knew you were right about everything you had said after the meeting." His shoulders slumped.
"And then it became reality weeks later."

Danbi let him explain, watching how his eyebrow furrowed and he avoided her eyes, playing with his bracelet.

"It quickly calmed down again and it didn't hurt the group." Chan looked up, he was angry at himself. In disbelief. "But it could have."

Danbi slowly nodded, not knowing how to respond.

"It could have hurt you." He held eye contact before squeezing his eyes close, letting his head drop into his hands and pulling at his hair.
"It could have hurt so many people."

Danbi raised her, wanting to rub his back. She hesitated before lowering it into her lap again, holding onto the glass.

"Chan, it didn't luckily." Danbi almost whispered. "And I didn't want that to turn out to be true." Now she rested her hand on his shoulder. "Don't beat yourself up about it, please. I know you do. It's in the past."

The male turned his head ever so slightly and glanced at her. Danbi smiled a bit. He couldn't help himself and smile. How could he not smile?

"See it as a second chance and a reminder you shouldn't forget but don't stop. You need to move forward," Danbi squeezed his shoulder. "This comeback is important for all of you, enjoy it. You worked so hard to be at this point."

Danbi stood up, removing her hand. "And you deserve all of it." She smiled, extending her hand.
"And now come on. We are at a birthday party. We are supposed to have fun."

She winked at him, seeing the colour of his ears seconds later before pulling him up. Even with wearing heels, the older male was still taller, Danbi noted mentally.

"I want another drink," Danbi thought out loud, looking at him. "And you to sing with me."

She chuckled at his perplexed look before pulling him inside.