Nine: Mikah

"Jeez, he's in such bad shape," I note.

Obsidian nods. "Yeah, he is."

I look at him. "So, what do you think they do to them?"

"I have no idea," Obsidian musters.

"Is anyone in there?" A voice from outside the door calls. "You better know that new guards aren't allowed in there!"

Obsidian and I exchange looks. We then run as fast as we go. We skid to a halt.

"No use, it's a dead end," I tell him.

Obsidian's gold eyes scan the room. "Where…?" His eyes stop. "In there?"

"In where?" I try to see where he's looking.

"Mikah, do you trust me?"

I nod. "Well duh."

Obsidian grabs my hand and forces open a crack in one of the cells. The door shuts behind us.

Just in time too, the guard from outside the door barges in. He patrols but says, "Oh, no one was in here." He leaves.

The raven haired boy who was resting his head on the wall jolts up. "Who are you?" He looks frightened.

"I'm Mikah Viktorovsky and this is my friend Obsidian Yakivev," I say. "We're here to see how we can help."

"Craig Romanov," he tells us as he stands up.

I smile. "Nice to meet you, Craig."

Craig nods us a bidding. He begins to pace. "Kyle and I have been here for over a year-"

Obsidian clears his throat. "I saw someone else in one of the cells," he says without name dropping Gabe.

"Oh Gabriel? He's new," Craig tells us. He huffs. "We don't get the treatment we were promised; instead, we're stepped all over. We're forced to do certain things for Maximoff's own amusement."

"That's horrible," Obsidian says, sympathetically.

Craig nods. "Yeah it is. But we're nothing. We're all just puppets for Tsar Maximoff -- even Daskanalasć's government is. We're treated no better. One of our own, Johanna, died of dysentery."

I try so hard not to say 'Johanna has died of dysentery'.

"Do you know what happened to Gabriel?" Obsidian asks Craig.

Craig only shakes his head. "There's not much that I actually know about him. He's a mystery. I'd assume he's the same as us; an LGBTQ+ member of some sort." Craig pauses for a breath and then continues. "It looks like he's got a pretty bad wound on his lower abdomen for most likely, a gun."

"Thank you for the information, Craig," I say.

Obsidian pulls out his key card and the cell unlocks; we step out.

I feel bad. It's not like Craig can run out with us, he's got shackles weighing him down.

We head down to the cell that reads 'Gabriel Vladimirov'. Obsidian and I exchange glances. We go in.

Gabriel looks unconscious.

The toilet bowl is lit up with bloody vomit.

It looks like he's bleeding out.

I bite my lip at the sight.

Gabriel's face is pale. He has huge bags beneath his eyes. His lips look gray and clammy.

Obsidian takes off his jacket.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hiss to him.

"I'm helping Gabriel, Mikah," Obsidian tells me.

He then pulls out a pocket knife and begins to hack at one of the sleeves. It comes off. He unfolds it neatly. Next, Obsidian ties it around Gabriel; not too tight. It's not so tight he can't breathe, but it's still tight enough for it to somewhat stop the blood flow.

Obsidian stands up. "Sleep tight, sweet prince."

And as we walk out ask, "What was that, Obsidian?"

"Nothing." His face grows red.

I roll my eyes. And in my mind I say, he's totally gay. "What are we going to do?"

Obsidian looks at me and says in low whisper, "We're going to save them."