Thirty-Five: Obsidian

Gabriel and I are leading the ‘army’ consisting of Ana, Oko, Laszlo, Kartir, Tyler, Johanna, Craig, Kyle, Jack, Izak, Leo, Sam, Katiya, and Mikah.

We march through the streets of the second sector and then finally the first sector.

We’re met with guards.

They’re all standing in a line. Their gazes lock with ours.

Three kids approach us.

I recognize two of them from school—Quinn Olganev and Josef Akthinsky.

Katiya recognizes the other one and points to him and says, “That’s Oleg Wayanov.”

We all tense.

Oleg says, “No, don’t worry. I’m not here to hurt you guys. Actually Josef, Quinn, and I plan to ask if we can help with your revolution.”

I gaze at everyone else and then back to Josef, Oleg, and Quinn. Then I nod. “Yes. You may help us with our fight.”

Oleg smiles. “Thank you.”

Oleg, Josef, and Quinn join our ‘army’.

“Forward,” Gabriel commands.

Our little army heads forward.

And the closer we get, the task force tenses more.

Then we’re right against each other.

Nothing is said as the task force slowly moves toward our side.

They don’t even need to speak for us to understand what’s going on.

We already now.

They’ve always been against Joseph Maximoff and everything he stands for.

Finally, we’re inside of the capital building.

The task force who joined us stay outside to keep us secure.

Gabriel says, “Okay, this is where we part ways. Oleg, Katiya, Quinn, Josef, and Tyler stay in the south wing. Craig, Laszlo, Kartir, Kyle, and Johanna take the east. The west will be occupied by Sam, Leo, Izak, Jack, and Mikah. And I’ll take Obsidian, Oko, and Ana to the north wing with me. Everyone got it?”

“Da!” we all yell.

Craig, Kyle, Kartir, Laszlo, and Johanna head east.

Sam, Leo, Izak, Jack, and Mikah head west.

And Ana, Oko, Gabe, and I head north.

The northern corridors are creepy.

That much I can say.

Ana kept singing on repeat, “Maximoff is an asshole. And if he touched my girl, he’s dead meat.”

Oko is murmuring something under his breath that I can’t catch.

Gabriel shushes them. “Maximoff is near.” He leads us into this boiler room.

Ana, Oko, and I exchange glances and enter.

Once we do, the door slams shut behind us.

And who steps out of the shadows happens to be none other than Tsar Joseph Jack-ass Maximoff.

He smiles creepily. “Oh what do we have here? Oko Guillermo Martinez. Anastasia Ilya Volkov. Arkadiya Vladimirova. And Obsidian Vadim Yakivev.”

I gulp. “How do you know our full names?”

Maximoff laughs. “Well, Obsidian, I know everything. Just like I know that Oko is asexual and homoromantic. Anastasia is a lesbian. And you are gay."

Ana comments, “Damn, he’s good at this.”