Twenty: Johanna

Once again my eyes stir open.

Even though it feels like my eyes have grown accustomed to this harsh light, it still hurts them.

I rub my blue eyes.

"Still hurts?" Oko Martinez asks gazing at me.

"Yeah," I say as I blink, hoping that will ease the pain.

It slightly does.

Oko then asks me, "Johanna, do you miss your family? Do you miss your friends?"

I nod. "Everyday. Especially my friends, Kyle and Craig. I was weak. But them still being near gave me the strength to continue. Thus, I'm here; alive and well." I pause for a moment before asking, "And what about you, Oko? Do you miss your family?"

Oko clenches his hand into a fist. "No. I don't miss those sacks of shit."

I flinch. Most of the time I don't hear Oko cuss because it's extremely - by that I mean EXTREMELY - rare. "Okay. Then why is that, Oko?"

Oko sighs and hangs his head. "They didn't care for me. They ratted me out once they found out I was Asexual. The guards came for me. Then, I ran away before they could take me." Oko takes a quick breath. "My friends said they'd take me in. But, they betrayed me too. They were friendly for a night or two then they called up the guards and told them where I'd been stowing away. The guards said they'd reward them handsomely." It looked like tears were coming to Oko's eyes.

"Are you crying?" I try to ask him.

Oko gets all defensive. "No! I'm not crying! You are!"

I look Oko right in his hazel eyes. "Do you want to tell me the story?"

Oko sniffles. "Sure."

─┉─¡! • !¡─┉─

"...and now, it's present day," Oko sniffles.

I pat his back. "Oko, you're okay now. Now one can take you away anymore."

"Touché," Oko comments. "But, the whole situation gave me PTSD."

I sigh. "Yeah. It gave me PTSD too." Then I add, "That's probably how all of the captured feel."

"Knock knock," a smile stands happily and handsomely on the polysexual Kartir's face.

I grin. "Kartir!"

"Hey Kartir," Oko says calmly.

Kartir is part of the staff who is secretly LGBT. Kartir is also nonbinary. "Johanna. Oko," they begin to address us.

"What can we do for you, Kartir?" I ask them.

They say, "Tomorrow they're going to use experimental 'cures' for you two. They could be lethal." Kartir then leans in closer and whispers, "That's why I'm helping you escape tonight."