Chapter 10

We sat in a sun lit café that was placed on the bottom floor of the agency building. There were several little booths, that were placed beside the big windows of the place, with glossy, brownish-red wooden tables and benches of the same colour with deep green cushions on either side of them, big enough to fit two people each. We sat in one of these booths, I was beside the window with an ice pack on my head that Kunikida forced me to wear and every time I tried to take it off he would shoot me a dirty glare, making me sigh and place it above my head again. In front of me was Tanizaki who, after he finished apologizing to me, moved on to Atsushi, who was beside me, for being so rude to him during the exam. Beside him was Naomi, who was just nodding along to anything and everything her older brother said.

Opposite us sitting at the counter on some high wooden stools, were Dazai and Kunikida. Dazai was swaying side to side, holding Lucky up like Simba from the Lion King. The feline seemed to be enjoying the experience as he purred in delight at the nice view he was getting from up there. But for one reason or another, the brunette's actions annoyed Kunikida, and the blonde man started kicking his partner, who just ignored him and started humming the opening to the Lion King. The waitress of the café, a cute, brunette woman dressed in a maid outfit, was working busily behind the counter, already used to the duo's antic from our multiple visits before.

I sweat-dropped at the two before turning back to the people in front of me, listening in to where their conversation had gotten to. I saw the siblings.. doing what they do, and decided to rescue poor Atsushi from this awkward situation.

"I wouldn't really question it too much, like, I've been here a month and I'm still not sure whether they're actually siblings or not" I informed him, to which he just gave me a traumatized nod. I could tell he was trying to ignore them, but it wasn't turning out too easy. "Also, I'd brace yourself because Kunikida is about to give you his 'Now that you're a member of the Agency' speech in about 3...2...1-"

"Brat!" Kunikida began as if on queue. He had risen from his stool and was now standing over our table, the light shining off his glasses lenses, causing them to look white. "Today you have joined the ranks of the Armed Detective Agency! You must never be a burden to anyone, nor shame the Agency's good name. The rest of us are sworn to that, right Dazai?"

He turned hopefully to his partner, only to find him flirting with the waitress, asking her to 'strangle him with her delicate fingers' or whatever, while dreamily drawing circles on her hand with his finger. Kunikida went to go strangle Dazai, but in the middle of their little fight, Atsushi asked them "Hey what did you guys do before you joined the Agency?" Causing them to stop and compose themselves.

I knew where this was going to go, so I zoned out a little and rested my head out the window, where I recognized a certain blonde lady from the Port Mafia. I rubbed my eyes in shock as to what she was doing here but when I opened them she was gone. 'I must have hit my head a little harder than I thought' I wondered to myself, thinking that I was now seeing visions.

"Now guess Nekori" Dazai encouraged Atsushi eagerly, pointing at me. Apparently, he had already guessed Tanizaki, Naomi and Kunikida, so now it was  my turn I guess. He looked at me long and hard, scanning my every feature before confidently saying.

"Were you a student?" 

I burst out laughing at his very off guess. 

"Nah, dude, you're way off"

He was about to guess again, when I got a phone call from Kenji.

"Hello" I said into the phone, hoping for a case as I hadn't been on one with Kenji in ages. Luckily, my prayers were answered. He quickly told me about some drug dealer case that might have an ability user, bla bla bla. I said my goodbyes and closed the phone, putting it back into my pocket. 

"I've a case with Kenji" I announced to the group, as I stood up. Lucky sensed that I was leaving so he hurriedly wriggled out of Dazai's arms and hopping onto my shoulder. "But keep guessing, Atsushi. And if you think my one's hard, wait 'til you try and guess Dazai's" I winked at him cheekily, before sprinting out of the café to go meet up with Kenji.

"Nekori, you forgot your ice pack!" I heard a voice shout behind me but I just ignored it and kept running to my destination, a smirk on my face.

                                                 ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

"Well, that was boring" I slumped as we walked on the side walk, on our way back to the agency. Turns out the drug dealers didn't have an ability user, they were just a bunch of low-life thugs, who thought they could get away with stuff.

Kenji just chuckled at my antics before seeing the time on a clock in a near by restaurant. 

"It's almost 3 o'clock!" he shouted. "I have to go water my plants! Bye Nekori-chan!" And with that he took off, and me and Lucky were left alone. We got back to the Agency in about five minutes, to find Kunikida and Dazai being the only ones there. 

"Where's Atsushi and the Tanizakis?" I asked Kunikida as Dazai seemed to be asleep, with headphones in his ears. "They went to help some blonde lady with some smugglers behind her building. That big office building beside the Post Office by the harbor, you know?" he answered me, not looking up from his laptop. 

"Kunikida! This is a very important question" I told him seriously, which surprised him. "Was her hair like bright blonde and was she wearing a suit?" I questioned him to which he just nodded confusedly. "SHIT!" I yelled as I sprinted out of the office building, Lucky clutching onto my shoulder for dear life. Kunikida just stared at me confusedly, before shrugging and getting back to his paperwork.

Once outside, I changed into a panther and started leaping from roof to roof over Yokohama, before finally finding the alley I was looking for. I changed back into human and dropped down, Lucky still digging his claws into my shoulder as to not fall off. 

There in front of me in the dimly lit alley, was none other than Ryunosuke Akutagawa and his little servant Higuchi, their backs turned to me, just as I had suspected. To my horror, I also saw Tanizaki and Naomi, lying motionlessly on the floor. Poor Atsushi was facing Akutagawa, fear and guilt in his eyes. He saw me and his expression lit up a bit, before I put a finger to my mouth as if to shush him, to which he obeyed. 

I pointed at the gun on the floor a bit in front of me and he slightly nodded, the fear replaced with determination. He got up, and yelling some sort of war cry thing, he charged at Akutagawa before veering off at the last second and sliding beside him, getting the machine gun and shooting at Akutagawa's back. I took this as my queue to turn into a shadow, which I can do now apparently, and hid on the floor beside dear Aku-kun.

The bullets did nothing to him and then, to our horror, he sent Rashomon at Atsushi. In that split second, Atsushi lost his leg. 

I do not remember him being that powerful.