21: pinnacle

Wrapped in his arms was where you wanted to stay. You almost couldn't remember the last time you two had been this close but it made your heart and soul elevate beyond comprehension. It was almost perfect — almost.

The fact you had shared such passion in your childhood bedroom with your mother just down the hall hadn't completely slipped your mind. You didn't care a second ago as your soulmate had brought you to completion for the third time. But in the post-orgasm haze, that awareness came back.

"Dinner will probably be ready soon," you muttered as your head rested on your pillow. You were staring at the ceiling, Druig's arm was draped loosely around your waist. It was a bit of a tight squeeze as your childhood bed was certainly not made for two people, but the closeness felt overdue.

"I'm sure it will be," Druig replied but he didn't sound very interested.

You sighed as so much hung from your lips. Maybe sex made people feel some type of way, or maybe it just happened to soulmates, but whatever caused it, it was dangerous.

"We should just...go."

You felt Druig shift beside you. "What?"

"I... I don't know—,"

"No." The hand on your waist was suddenly cupping your cheek and forcing you to face him. "What did you say?"

"I—I said we should just go," you repeated, slowly. Cautiously. Druig's expression was as if someone had lit a flame. He was shocked. You felt it, which also meant he felt your regret.

"Where do you want to go?"

"You know, that church camping trip was my first time out of the country."

Druig smirked. "The first time you leave the country you just so happen to stumble into me?"

You glanced down at his arm. Gently, you ran your fingers over the tattoo that seemed to practically shine on your face. "I guess the bond wasn't messing around. That little string of fate was always pulling me to you."

"And now we get to go anywhere together."

Keep reading

You nodded. "But you still promised me one night here."

Druig's shocked expression morphed into something more warming and lovely. Even your reminder couldn't break it. You felt like you'd be giving in to him all your life—and maybe you would be. You could resist, you could establish boundaries, but at the end of the day, the soulmate bond was the center of each of your souls.

"Of course I did," he muttered. "And my word is my word."

You untangled yourself from his grip and sat up in the bed, the blanket held close to your chest. If you had a third-person perspective this might've looked like the cheesiest romcom ever. Druig certainly didn't seem offended by the sitting arrangements. His fingers coasted lightly over your exposed skin.

"Where would we go?" You asked. "You're the travel expert, right?"

The laugh Druig let out felt so freeing. "I guess you could consider me something of the sort." He shrugged. "Did you have somewhere in mind?"

"No," you admitted, lending your own laugh. "I didn't think that far. I didn't think I'd... I'd ever say that. I had planned on fighting more."

"Why am I not surprised that was your plan?"

You nudged Druig lightly for his comment but he wasn't phased.

"We could start simple," Druig continued. "Have you ever wanted to go to London? Sersi seems to like it there."