DNA and Fire

Nicole's POV

I've gotten a little better since the thing with Raph happened.

I've been able to walk around, which is really nice to be able to do again. I still can't do anything crazy like running, sparring, jumping, and I can only use my powers a little. The guys have to keep me "happy", as I heard Leo say, or I could "flip out and hurt one of them, or herself".

I heard that conversation a couple days ago, and it's gotten me a little ticked off, but I'll get over it.

I wanted to get back into the swing of things, so I started going back to school yesterday. And it gives me a chance to move around a little, besides being in the lair.

Staying calm was a little bit of a challenge, cuz, ya know, school, but I managed.

April and I went to the lair after school today, and started working on our biology project.

We swabbed the inside of our mouths with a Qtip.

Mikey was laid down on his belly, his head leaning on his hands, while Donnie was sitting on the couch behind him, reading a comic.

"Whatcha doin', guys?" He asked.

"Sending in a sample for a class project." April answered.

"You're melon in your spit for a class project? Man, school sounds awesome!" Mikey said.

"It's isn't." April said.

"Not in the slightest." I said.

"Well, I'd be awesome at it. Check this spit out!" Mikey stared snorting like he was gonna spit out a big one.

Donnie ran up from behind him and covered his mouth with his hands before Mikey could spit.

"Don't." Was all Donnie said.

"It's... not about the spit. It's about the DNA." April explained.

Mikey looked at me and April with a confused look, while still having Donnie's hands over his mouth, then looked up at Donnie and tried to say something. It didn't come out as anything, but we knew what he was asking.

"DNA. Genetic code. Ya know, the building blocks of life?" Donnie said.

Mikey still looked confused.

"Okay, DNA is a microscopic blue print that tells every living thing what to grow into, and why am I still talking to you?" Donnie attempted to explain.

"I don't know. You think you'd have learned by now." Mikey said, nudging Donnie.

"Everyone in our class is sending a DNA sample to this research group. The World Wide Genome Project." Donnie and Mikey sat down next to us. "Then they'll send us all back a report telling us all about our ancestors. Neat, huh?" April said.

"Uh huh. Uh huh. Wow, it's amazing what they can do these days." Mikey said, trying to keep a straight face.

He bursts out laughing and playfully hits Donnie. "Just kiddin'."

After an awkward moment, I said, "Well... I'm gonna go rest..."

"Same." Mikey said. "And play videogames!"

I got up and went to my room.

---------------------------------------------
TIME SKIP 5 DAYS
---------------------------------------------
Both April and I got an email saying to go to the school because our DNA tests results had come in.

April was ok with it, but I had a little bit of a bad feeling. Maybe it's just paranoia after the going into a coma thing.

We got to Roosevelt High School, and walked through the front doors.