Chapter 38

Hi Readers! I know, I am updating this story after 2 years.. just had something in me which wanted to write again;)
Please do comment your views, your reviews will keep me motivated to update the book regularly.
Thank you!

______~~~~~~~____~~~~~~~_____

Since childhood, Nakul labelled a trademark of having an overly involved relationship with himself. It all started with the rumour which Bheem had spread when Nakul vocalised his first-ever words, the gourmand brother had sworn that he heard Me instead of Maa. Most of the time, rumours are merely a game of Chinese whisper but sometimes they justify as a true consideration and in the elder twin's case, the family staunchly believed Bheem when the boys started to grow up.

Narcissistic anger pressured Nakul as he realised Arjun merrily boasting about how he won the last round of a racing game last night,
"You have been in my room for the last four nights, and I really don't digest the reason of yours that you want to play video games and watch Marvel with me" he accused his newly wedded brother, "moreover who leaves his new bride to spend his nights with his brother?" Irritation soaked his eyes, his princely self-love found sharing his comfort space the least pleasurable thing.

"Oh, don't you raise such suspicions.. today I'll go to Sahdev! It's been such a long time since I spent time with you both so I decided to rank my time" Arjun patted his brother's cheek before collecting his belongings from the bedside table.

"Sahdev won't entertain you, Arjun bhaiya" Nakul smirked, emphasising the last word which he rarely used for his current senior and pointed towards the room's door.

"I certainly won't" Sahdev who was leaning on the doorframe reassured Nakul through his eyes, "until and unless you tell us what's straining you and Draupadi now?"

"Why don't you believe my love for you both? there's nothing wrong!" Arjun protested, burying the embarrassing thought of his love panicking at his tender touch.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The third son and his wife had been avoiding each other for a few days, the sharp-witted mother could easily see through the curtains of their fake drama of normality. She sighed a short relief, appreciating the unknown reason for their aloofness.

"Let's see what the twins do now" Pritha gritted her teeth as her close friends all gathered in the house's living room playfully discussed her three married sons.

"Devangi and Hruti, even though the boys chose them first, are very polite and humble, " Sushma remarked, bringing a gratified smile to the mother-in-law's face.

"What about the new girl? She's from a society like ours and Arjun broke poor Shanaya's heart for her, oh don't tell me that she's like Mrs Mehta's daughter-in-law?" Kavita raised her eyebrows, making all the ladies laugh recalling how Mrs Mehta is at loggerheads with her son's wife.

Pritha adjusted her smile to look natural, "oh, she's fine too"

"Indeed, she will live for a thousand years it seems.. come dear, we were wanting to meet you!" Renu instantly recognised Draupadi who walked into the living room after a strenuous gym session.

"Hi everyone" she grinned with all her might, observing the pedantic mother of her husband calling her to sit beside her.

" I always had an eye on Arjun for my niece but I feel his taste is okay only" Sushma winked at the youngest lady in the group. "Well, Draupadi.. tell us, is our friend treating you nicely? After all, she wanted Shanaya to be a part of the family" The shrewd gossiper laughed at her wordings.

"Of course she is!" Draupadi blunted her statement docilely, she looked at Pritha as the two women shared a plastered smile.

"The world is unfair to women, your cast, creed or race doesn't matter, the sole fact that you are a woman is cruel.
A man gets to bag as many women as he can and the elder wives have no option but to stay mum" Kunti kept her heart out as if recollecting her husband and his second marriage.

"But you, Draupadi" she added, putting her mask cleverly on, "you have to let Subhadra have all the time in the world with Arjun, don't ever wish to come between them. You are lucky to have four more husbands to be cared by but she? She is a new mother and even new to this palace and only has Arjun"

"I won't ask Aryaputra to divide his time, Mata and I will consider his new bride and son as my own family" The crestfallen first wife stabbed her desires to fulfil her duties.

_____________________________

Draupadi threw an empty medicine strip on the ground, before harshly chugging a whole bottle of water down her throat.

"I am strong, I live in the present and I am happy" she started whispering to herself while glancing at the mirror, she filled her lungs to the max capacity and then gently breathed out the excessive air.

"A sinking ship" she assumed, failing to divert her brain from the reversing train of thoughts.
Darkness had never been her forte, she would want to be in the light after the tunnel immediately instead of going through the whole dark and lonely patch.

Echoes from the chambers of her pained heart disgusted her, voices mimicking the work of a slow poison reached her head's weakest point, 'even after knowing the truth of your past life, your nightmares and visions are more gruesome, what's the use of the five years of therapy and pills?' Her overloaded brain fidgeted with some neural wires here and there, plummeting her to the ground.

"Are you on antidepressants?" Arjun raised an alarm trying to read the title of the medicine strip which was just ahead of his right foot.

"I?" She mumbled, cursing the sedation of the capsule and massaging her aching temples "I need time to think straight, please"