𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

Carlisle observed Rêverie's condition with a worried look on his face

Carlisle observed Rêverie's condition with a worried look on his face. Her body did not appear to be feverish, nor was she as pale as a few minutes ago, but she was still in a cold sweat and her body continued to shiver as she clung tightly to his shirt.

She mumbled things he would not understand if it were not for his improved hearing and cried in hushed tones every so often.

His son Jasper's reaction didn't alleviate his worry either, but only magnified it as he winced and dropped to his knees.

“N-Na...o... D-Do…n't... g-g... go... Op-Op... en... y-your... e-eyes... P... ple... ase…”

Once again, his shirt met Rêverie's tears and his heart shrank as he recognised what she was saying.

“I'm not going anywhere,” he promised quietly, wiping away her tears once more. “I'll be here when you wake up.”

Carlisle smiled in relief as Rêverie began to relax at his words.

“I won't leave you alone, mon ange,” he murmured, leaving a kiss on her forehead before picking up a book from his desk.

It wasn't until the sun's rays penetrated the room at noon, landing on Rêverie's face, that he felt movement in his arms again.

She seemed to be looking for a comfortable position where the sun would not bother her, but found it impossible as the surface she was resting on was not soft and she could not lift it either.

Carlisle couldn't help but chuckle as he witnessed Rêverie's failed attempts to mold his chest to her liking.

This is not a pillow.

‘No, it isn't. It's something better.’

“Are you feeling any better?” Carlisle questioned, observing his mate's alert countenance, like a cat that had been startled.

“I-I... Y-Yes... thank you for looking after me,” she said, averting his gaze. “Cullen?”

“Yeah?”

“Let go of me,” she said, feeling Carlisle's arm still around her waist. “I can't get up if you hold me like that.”

“Then don't.”

“Cullen.”

Carlisle lifted his arm with a smile as he saw her serious expression again, she seemed better.