||27. Red Stone

"They can't be serious," Y/N scoffed, her brows furrowing as she slightly tilted her head to the side

"They can't be serious," Y/N scoffed, her brows furrowing as she slightly tilted her head to the side. News of stricter rules, shorter curfews, and firmer enforcement had reached her ears through both Professor Flitwick and McGonagall.

"Oh, they are," Hermione hummed, leaning over the table with her mouth slightly parted. "By the way, sorry about Agil."

Y/N scrutinized the girl before her expression returned to neutrality. "Why?" she asked.

Hermione arched an eyebrow. "Because... she's your sister, and she's just been petrified," she deadpanned. "Hold on, you're not serious, you don't still hate her—do you?"

Y/N sighed, her brow remaining furrowed. "I don't hate her."

"You seem apathetic about this whole situation," Hermione challenged.

"Because I'm apathetic about her. Both her and Axel, I couldn't care less about those two," Y/N deadpanned as she stabbed her pork with her fork.

Hermione leaned across the table, her curiosity evident in her raised eyebrow. "How's your... flame thing going?" she inquired, tilting her head slightly. Y/N responded with a nonchalant shrug.

"It's been... uh," Y/N hesitated, a sense of discomfort washing over her. She couldn't deny the guilt that gnawed at her. She had been so distracted lately that she hadn't practiced her Fire Blessing in months, defying Dumbledore's orders.

Hermione reached under the table and intertwined her hand with Y/N's, offering a reassuring squeeze. "Hey, it's okay if you've hit a wall. That's normal, especially with everything going on recently."

Y/N's determination flared as she spoke firmly, her shoulders slumping momentarily. "I want to be stronger. I just haven't found the motivation yet."

✴✴✴✴✴

Y/N stood before the fireplace, determination etched on her face. "Avista Lavista!" she incanted, her voice filled with anticipation. She extended her arm as if willing a massive burst of flames to emerge. To her disappointment, nothing happened.

Frustration bubbled within her. "How am I supposed to practice when I don't even know where to begin?" she muttered, running her hand through her hair in annoyance.

Seated on the floor beside the fireplace, Y/N's eyes fixated on the dancing flames. "How do I make this work?" she grumbled, tilting her head in contemplation.

With a reluctant sigh, she extended her arm over the metal frame that shielded students from the open flames. "I must be a complete idiot," she scolded herself as her hand drew closer to the scorching hot fire.

Closing her eyes tightly, she braced herself for the searing pain she expected. But to her surprise, no pain came. Slowly, she turned her head to witness the impossible—the flames before her parted like the Red Sea, allowing her hand to pass through unscathed.