Four

It was yet another day in Cheryl’s life where she was feeling pressure from her parents to be thinking about her future.

Cheryl loved her parents, she always will and she understands the pressure they feel in securing her happiness, but sometimes she would just like them to relax and concentrate on their own happiness.

The Princess managed to slip away after lunch before her mother could talk to her some more about eligible Princes who will be making visits to Riverdale soon.

During these warm summer afternoons, the eldest Princess loved to soak up the sunshine and warmth in the palace gardens. The peace and tranquillity seemed to help in brushing away all that bothered her. She had stopped in a particularly sunny spot, letting the heat sink into her face, when a voice drew her attention.

“We seem to have the same taste in relaxation spots, your Highness. If I knew any better I’d say you were following me.”

The redhead watched as the brunette from the library last week strolled up to stand next to her. “Then it’s a good job you know better.”

Cheryl couldn’t say why but she liked the fact that this girl felt at ease enough to talk to her. Being the Princess in the castle meant a lot of the time the people working around her would avoid any type of interaction outside of a bow.

The Serpent had her own smile now that she knew she hadn’t crossed a line in addressing the Princess. “Yes, it is.” She clasped her hands behind her back.

“You came out here to relax?” Cheryl asked casually for something to say.

“I’ve completed all my tasks for now.” The brunette assured.

Cheryl shook her head quickly, “I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise.” She hated the idea of causing any offence to the woman in front of her.

The brunette filled the next moments of silence taking in the sight of the woman standing next to her. The sun shone through her hair making her appear to glow with the wind carrying the scent of flowers under her nose. She pondered something before finally speaking again, “Are you hiding again? I got the sense the other day that you were avoiding something or someone.”

“Both.” Cheryl answered while wondering how this woman seemed to be able to read her and yet they didn’t know one another.

“Hmm.” She didn’t want to pry.

“Just trying not to have the same conversation I’ve had with my mother every day for the last six months.” Cheryl confessed to the stranger.

“Anything you want to talk about?”

Cheryl huffed but with only saying the small amount she had before, she’d felt mildly better and so wanted to share more.

“With my brother now next in line, they feel they need me married off to ensure I’m happy. And apparently, they think I should be worrying myself with all that right this second.” It was the first time she’d verbalised any of these feelings; never to her sister, not even herself. She was surprised to find it actually cathartic.

“And you don’t want to get married?” The Serpent seemed to be listening.

The Princess couldn’t stop the guilt that began to seep in as she realised what she’d said against her parents. “I shouldn’t be saying any of this to you.” Cheryl went to step away and remove herself from sharing anything further at the risk of humiliation.

A calloused hand gently wrapped itself around her wrist preventing her from leaving. “I’m not going to say anything to anyone about anything you may or may not tell me.” Two pairs of brown eyes met in an attempt to convey the legitimate trust that was being offered.

“Thank you.” Cheryl nodded with a smile.

Once the brunette was sure the Princess wasn’t going to run off any time soon she released her arm, “May I say something?”

Cheryl nodded, her curiosity piqued.

“It seems to me that they feel partly responsible for your future changing after years of planning so now they want to make up for it. You may need to let them know that you’re happy as you are and don’t want or need to rush into anything.” The brunette wouldn’t look the Princess in the eye again afraid she was overstepping.

Cheryl gave a sad shake of her head, “But I’m not sure I’m ever going to want to marry.”

“Is it the thought of marriage or the whom it would be with?” The Serpent woman spoke before she really thought about the words.

“Both, I think?” Cheryl realised as she thought about it for the first time.

Well she couldn’t go back now, “What if you weren’t to marry a man?”

“How so?” Cheryl furrowed her brow and watched the woman in front of her.

“Well, what if you pictured marrying a woman?” The brunette finally looked back up to look at Cheryl’s face.

“But that’s impossible.” Cheryl could almost laugh at the notion.

“Have you ever thought about liking women?” Asked as if it was the most casual of questions.

She paused dumbstruck, well no. It was never a possibility or an option. “I don’t know.” It was Cheryl’s turn to look at the floor.

“I could help you figure it out?”

Cheryl threw her head up to look at the woman before her, “How?”

“Well I know one way.” The brunette stepped forwards and rested her hands on Cheryl’s waist, bringing her in close before moving one hand to cradle her cheek, keeping her in place.

Cheryl froze. She was powerless to stop her, mainly because she didn’t actually want to stop her.

The brunette’s lips were soft and gentle as they caressed her own. This was like nothing she’d ever imagined her first kiss to be. She’d imagined a room full of officials, her mother weeping to one side and her new husband standing over her. A small voice was screaming in her head that this was wrong and that it fell below the standards of a Princess, but it was too perfect.

The girl knew what she was doing as she ran her tongue lightly over her bottom one asking for permission to continue kissing her forbidden lips. Cheryl fell deeper into their actions and opened her mouth as their tongues met. It wasn’t till a bird cawing overhead pulled the girls out of their thoughts that Cheryl realised the girl’s hand was stroking her cheek while the other cradled her hip, and that Cheryl’s own hands were now on the girl’s neck.

The redhead stepped out of the brunette’s reach, “I have to go.” Her voice was rough as she made her excuses and took off up the path to the castle in utter confusion. She thought her life was already messed up enough without what just happened.

The brunette was just as dumbfounded as the other girl, what the hell had she been thinking? There’s no way she’s going to be kept around here after that. How could she let herself down like that? Surely she has more control than that? Apparently not. The Princess is just far too distracting. She needed to get a grip.