Twenty one

Cheryl had been sat at her writing desk in her reception room. Herself and Toni had finished their latest letter to Reggie and the Serpent had not long left to send it out to the post. The Princess’ attention was drawn to the door as the Queen and the youngest Princess breezed into the room. Penelope asked if the redhead would join them; it wasn’t like she really had a choice.

“We are to hold a ball the month from next.” The Queen announced once the three women were settled on the sofas; the girls on one and she on the other.

“What for?” Cheryl felt her stomach drop.

“Yes, finally!” Betty all but bounced in her seat.

Two very different daughters, Penelope thought as she took in her girls’ reactions.

She chose to address her eldest child’s concerns. “Because Cheryl, you are coming to an age where you need to be thinking about the future.”

The red-haired Princess found that air was no longer moving in and out of her lungs as her mother continued.

“And what that might look like in the form of a marriage.” Apparently meeting with Reggie as well as exchanging letters wasn’t enough for her mother anymore.

“Mother, I’m sixteen!” Cheryl tried to insist to her mother. She thought she’d have more time before the Queen returned to her pestering about her future.

Penelope was saddened as she had hoped that by being in contact with Reginald would have allowed for her daughter to grow and change her views, but it had seemed it hadn’t. “It will be just showing your face to more prospective suitors for the future. Nothing has to be set in stone. Plus, Reginald will be there.” That was her last attempt to convince her daughter that a ball was a positive thing.

“Will there be people there my age mother?” Betty, very helpful in Cheryl's view, pulled the focus to herself.

Penelope had to laugh at the enthusiasm her middle child seemed to possess. “Yes, Betty. We can make sure there are some guests for you to interact with. What do you say, Cheryl?” She’d turned back to the redhead.

“I really don’t have any choice do I?” Cheryl asked her mother reluctantly.

The Queen looked to her daughter with a tight-lipped, almost apologetic smile. “Not really.”

She huffed most unladylike. “Fine, but I get final dress approval.” She tried to give her mother a smile at the end.

Penelope relaxed her own smile and nodded once. “As you wish.”

“Oo oo, me too!” Once again Betty was bouncing in her seat in far too much excitement.

“Of course, we couldn’t have one without the other.” Penelope chuckled as she held out her hands for her daughters to take one each. Once they had, she squeezed on them gently, grateful that that conversation was over and that she’d gotten a somewhat positive response from her eldest daughter.

________

The family had finished with lunch later that day and Cheryl had snuck down to the scullery to seek out the brunette Serpent whom would be starting the washing up.

The Princess had managed to stealthily get herself concealed behind the open door to await the arrival of the specific brunette.

It was routine for everyone downstairs to know that Toni preferred to wash up in her own world, and so it wasn’t unusual when she entered the small scullery that she closed the door behind her.

As soon as the door was closed, the Princess took a small step forward to cover the distance separating them before looping her arms around the Serpent’s neck.

Toni noticed that Cheryl didn’t pull her in to finish their greeting and had a somewhat guilty look on her face. She rested her hands on the redhead’s waist and pushed her away slightly to be able to look her fully in the face. “Is it about the ball?”

Cheryl unclasped her hands at the nape of the brunette’s neck and moved them to rest, relaxed, where her neck sloped into her shoulders. “You already know about the ball?”

Toni nodded with a reassuring smile. “The Queen briefed us on it this morning so that we could start planning for the food and decorations.”

“So you knew before I did. I knew I had no choice.” Cheryl mumbled the last part feeling slightly frustrated at her mother.

Toni left a kiss to her lips before moving out of her reach as she began to wash up like she was supposed to be doing. She spoke over her shoulder and she rolled up her sleeves. “What’s so bad about a ball?”

The redhead moved to lean with her back to the sink next to her so they could see one another as they spoke. “A ball is just another way for my mother to parade me off to all the men she thinks I should choose a husband from.”

Toni paused her scrubbing to quirk an eyebrow at the Princess. “But what about Reggie? We thought talking to him would stop your mother’s involvement.”

“She insisted that he’ll be there too. This is such a mess, we’re still stuck in the same place we’ve always been!” Cheryl rubbed at her face in such frustration.

Her hands were pulled away by sudsy ones. “Then nothing needs to change. Cher, come on. We still have each other. Like I’ve said, that isn’t going to change. I will follow you in whatever direction your life leads you.” Toni was mindful of her hands being wet and soapy as she pulled the redhead into her for an affirming hug.

“You’re too good to me TT.” Cheryl mumbled into the other woman’s neck.

Toni pushed Cheryl away, but kept her in her arms, to look at her. “And don’t you forget it!” She let out a laugh and fully released the redhead to leave a trail of soap down her cheek.

Cheryl yelped at the sensation before whacking the brunette lightly as she went back to scrubbing.

No words were spoken in the room between the pair for a few moments until a thought came to the Serpent. “I can’t imagine you dancing, and with a guy!”

Cheryl shook her head and groaned. It seemed she’d been thinking about having to dance too. “You really aren’t helping, TT.”

The brunette gave her a lazy smile and asked, “Well what do you want me to do, go to your mother and tell her you’re taken by the help?!”

The Princess stressed almost in desperation at the situation. “In an ideal world, yes!”

Toni gave a sad smile as she dried her hands this time before grasping the Princess by the upper arms. “I know this sucks. It does for the both of us but it's one night and then hopefully your parents will drop the subject again for a while.” She shrugged in faux nonchalance.

Cheryl released a breath and felt a smile form on her lips. “How do you do that, calm me down and make me feel as if everything is going to be okay?”

“Because, it is going to be all okay.” The brunette nodded sweetly with a squeeze to the arms under her hands.