Seventeen

It was a relief to the Princess as she flopped tiredly onto the top of her bed, that the afternoon hadn’t dragged like it so often did.

Reginald was pleasant enough and why not keep in correspondence with him? As he pointed out, it would please both of their mothers and that’s all she needed to do to right now be able to enjoy being with her Toni.

Was she hers? Cheryl liked to think of herself as Toni’s. How was she going to tell her about Reginald and his interest that she seemed to be encouraging without disappointing her? Surely this was all part of their plan, to stay together in whatever capacity. This was all such a mess.

The Princess decided not to bother the brunette with helping her get changed, she’d manage fine on her own. The rest of the late afternoon and evening moved at a much slower pace. Cheryl wished she had called upon Toni to help her earlier as she’d craved her attention since parting ways before the lunch.

She was grateful that the Queen hadn’t pushed for too many details at dinner about her and Reginald's time in the gardens. The Princess managed to placate her early by filling her in on the fact that Reginald had asked to write to her. This seemed to settle the Queen for now, though Cheryl didn’t miss the look the Queen gave the King or the way Betty was watching her gleefully from across the table.

Cheryl had not long entered her room for the evening after grabbing a book from the library for her and Toni to read. There came a familiar knock at the door which bought a smile to the redhead’s lips. “Come in.” She turned to watch as Toni entered the room.

The Serpent greeted the Princess as she moved into the room. “Hey, you didn’t need my help earlier? I was waiting for you to call.”

A guilty look washed over the redhead’s features. “I’m sorry, I didn’t want to disturb you.”

Toni gave a tut with a smirk as she laid out Cheryl’s nightgown over the dressing screen. “You do realise it’s my job to see to all of your needs.” She eyed the redhead as she closed the curtains and the Princess moved behind the screen to change out of her dress.

“Really, all of them?” Cheryl had her own smirk as she emerged from behind the screen a short while later dressed in her night dress.

Toni felt her throat dry as the redhead sauntered over to her where she was waiting for her at the dressing table. Cheryl slipped her arms around the brunette, pulling her close and drawing the breath out of her lungs with a kiss.

The Princess soon released the Serpent and took a seat at the dressing table.

Toni shook herself out of her thoughts and picked up the hair brush. “How was the lunch?”

Cheryl was removing her earrings as she drew her eyes up to meet the brunette’s in the mirror before admitting honestly, “Better than I thought it would be.”

“How so?” Toni tried to concentrate on letting the redhead’s hair down and combing through it carefully.

“Reginald was better company than most, he’s going to write to me.” Cheryl wanted to be honest with Toni.

“Oh.” Toni put the brush down as she moved on to collecting Cheryl’s discarded jewellery.

“I wanted to talk to you about all of this.” The Princess stood and followed Toni over to the draws.

“You’ve changed your mind from earlier.” She mumbled and couldn’t bring herself to meet the redhead’s gaze.

“What? No!” Cheryl insisted. “I still stand by what I said earlier, Toni. You are the one I choose. I thought it would just make a good distraction for my parents if I am seen to be in contact with Reginald. They may stop pressuring me and that will give us more time. Plus, I was hoping that you’d help me write to him and read his replies. We’re in this together, you and I.” In her small speech the Princess had cradled the brunette’s hands in her own, like she often found herself doing, and finished by leaving a kiss to her knuckles.

“I just didn’t realise how much I care for you until the idea of you finding someone else came up. It’s kind of scary.” Toni admitted shyly.

Cheryl’s heart almost broke at the sight of the brunette in front of her. “Then we’ll be scared together because only God knows how the feelings I have for you have left me fearing what would happen if I ever lost you!”

“Then you’ll have me for as long as you want me, I am yours.” The brunette pulled the Princess in at the waist and connected their lips in a familiar dance.

After many moments the Princess pulled away and pulled the brunette by the hand over to the bed. “I got us another book from the library.”

“That sounds perfect.” Toni smiled as she lowered the lamp light slightly before following the redhead onto the bed.