Twenty five

Cheryl stood off to one side, trying to avoid anyone’s eye contact that seemed to be heading her way.

She will admit that the orchestra tonight was the best part. She kept finding her brain wandering off in thought of how it would feel to have Toni in her arms and move to the music. She was drawn from her thoughts as Reggie approached her, adding to the many number of times he already had, but this time with a drink in his hand.

He offered the drink to her. “I must remark once again on how beautiful you look this evening. Would you like a drink?”

Cheryl had grown bored of his compliments, the only lips she wanted to hear them from were the beautiful brunette who played on her mind. She took the drink anyway. “Thank you.”

“I wonder if I might have a word with you in private?” For his towering figure, he managed to come across very shy right now.

Cheryl could see no way to avoid him and so nodded, putting her glass on a pacing tray and led him out of the ballroom.

The King and Queen of Riverdale were stood comfortably talking with the Viscount of Westercourt and his wife to one side of the ballroom. Penelope had just finished talking to her youngest daughter about the need for decorum and to please save some of the dance partners for her sister.

“Reginald has spoken of nothing else but the Princess since our lunch those months back.” The Viscountess reported merrily as she sipped on her drink.

“It’s the first time Cheryl has kept up correspondence with someone for so long.” The Queen didn’t want to get her hopes up, but it was the truth.

The Viscount seemed to match his wife’s enthusiasm at the prospect of their son marrying a Princess. “If I were a betting man, which I’m not, I’d say we’d have a union there by the end of the year.”

“There they are now.” The Viscountess gestured behind the King and Queen for them to watch their daughter be followed by Reggie out onto the patio.

Penelope and Clifford shared an apprehensive look between them, mindful of their company.

________

The Princess led the pair over to the low stone wall at the edge of the paved area.

Reggie walked up to rest on the wall next to her. Looking out on the gardens he spoke. “Your family knows how to host a ball, this is something else.”

Cheryl looked to him taking the compliment. “Thank you, I’ll let them know you think as much.”

He swallowed and looked back out to the gardens. “I must thank your sister for freeing up so much of your time tonight. It has given me an excuse to keep close to you.” He shuffled his hand over to graze his little finger with her gloved one.

Cheryl felt panic rise in her throat, does he think she’s asked Betty to distract other men so she’s free to spend more time with him? “I think she just got a bit overexcited.” She pulled her hand away and turned moving away from the wall now.

“I’ve kept each and every letter you’ve written to me.”

It can’t have been that many. “I can’t imagine why.” She said over her shoulder to him.

He swooped around her delicately to stand in front of her. “Can’t you? I thought I was being quite intentional with my actions. I know we haven’t known each other for very long, but I feel there’s a connection between us.” He scooped up her hands in his own.

Cheryl let out a breath she’d been holding since he started talking.

“My parents will think I’m rather hasty to say this…”

She cut him off pulling her hands out of his "Then maybe you shouldn’t say it.” She moved to walk passed him.

He sidestepped to stop her from walking any further. “I feel I must!”

He took a hold of her gloved hand lightly and fell to one knee, pulling a ring from his pocket. “Princess Cheryl of Riverdale, will you do me the greatest honour in becoming my wife?”

The Princess looked on at him wide-eyed and in disbelief. “You can’t mean that Reggie. It’s too soon, we hardly know one another.” She was shaking her head now as panic set in.

He stood as she stepped away to give her the space she was requesting. “I know enough and the rest we can learn in time.” He watched her as she almost started to pace in front of him.

“I can’t breathe.” She said to herself as she held a hand to her chest.

“I know it’s a lot to ask, and so I don’t expect an answer now. I will wait to hear from you be that whenever you are ready, Cheryl.”

She moved over to him with a small smile. “Thank you.” She squeezed his hand in apology before making her way back inside.

She managed to find a corner to conceal herself in so she could attempt to rationalise what had just occurred. She absentmindedly grabbed two glasses of wine from a passing tray before gulping them down, wincing at the dry sting in her throat.

This was all her mother had been talking about since her brother’s birth, so why was it such a difficult decision? Doesn’t she want to make her parents happy? But what about Toni? What about their happiness?