XII: The Blood Moon

Let me distract you.

~~~~

TW: Sexual Assaults

Massive walls stand intimidating in front of the Royal carriages. The hoofbeat from the horses and footsteps from the soldiers on the bricked bridge connecting the Kali and Fontos were the only sound that can be heard in the dead of the night, along with the silent gushing of the river beneath.

Kinn had never seen that wall in his life, not even before when the pact was made. He had no intention of crossing it anyway, or so he thought, but he was impressed by it as he stood in front of it. A gate that completely separated Kali from the neighboring Kingdoms, tall and hovering across the land, painted with the light of the moon.

The dark sky was clear, a few traces of clouds swirling around the moon like gray smoke on a lazy night. A loud crack rumbled from all directions, startling the horses followed by the crunching, grinding sound of stone against stone. The ground vibrated against their feet as the giant gates opened.

The doors rolled along the ground, spitting dirt and rocks as it moved, the metals and stones glistening against the moonlight as a wide opening greeted them.

They were met with a forest, bathed in darkness.

Kinn watched as spindles of flames danced in the middle of the dark, taking form as they came near. Torches carried by soldiers burned brightly as the group led their way into the forest.

The rumbling started once again as the huge doors shut from behind, rattling the ground. The loud sound echoing inside the forest. Wild birds flocking above as the silhouette of the trees swayed along the wind.

He is now in Kali.

When the trees started to clear, they were met by a lively town. Paper lanterns hanging from houses lit up the streets. Food stalls and drinks along the soppy ground as town people drank and danced to their content, not minding the carriages of their enemy passing by.

Either the people were too busy to care or the King of Fontos and their carriages were surrounded by Kali's away from suspicion.

It didn't take them long to have sight of the Palace. The size was magnificent, but Kinn wasn't surprised. This is what he was expecting, a Kingdom built with the sole purpose of destroying the mainland. Well, that was what Vegas's father was planning before, to ruin the friendship between two Empires, which led to bloodshed and war.

Look at it standing tall once again.

Kinn clicked his tongue. He doesn't like to hold grudges against people, but this is a different story. He knows this Kingdom is doing some dubious things behind their backs. Kinn is not naive nor foolish enough to not to know that. He's completely aware Vegas will use this chance to poke holes in his reign the same way he's making some of his own soldiers separate from them before they reach the gate. To roam around the land. To keep watch while he's being watched himself in the den of his enemy.

The carriages entered the Palace, and Kinn didn't expect the people of Kali to be so accommodating. The people gathered to make way for him, though in his bones he knew he was never welcomed in this Kingdom. The knowing looks from the common people is enough indication of rage and grudges all directed at him.

The son of the King who had killed theirs, is now joining their feasts.

"I'll lead you to your chamber, Your Majesty."

A tall young man bowed in front of Kinn. He couldn't help but smirk. The King of Kali didn't even bother to meet him and made this young man greet their visitor in his stead.