XVIII: Territory

And he would bow to no one.

Edit: If ever this notified you and you check and see that there's no new chapter, I apologize. My lovely Editor (Fionablack) has made changes in the chap and it is my duty to post it cause the whole chapter now sounded better. :))

_______

The wind that seeped through the cracks of the King's chamber was cold and quiet, a chill that brought in the crispness of the night. It made the air sharp, it had the faint scent of woodsmoke and mint as it made its way through the darkness.

The soft sound of Sila's breathing sounded over the flickers of the fire from the hearth. Pete was lying awake beside the King. His back pressed against Vegas, while his strong arms engulfed Pete's waist. Pete could feel the gentle thump beating of the King's heart against his back. The warmth of his breath on the back of his neck. The burning heat of the King's skin seeped through his clothes, that heat enveloping Pete's entire being.

As Pete pulled the sheets up to his shoulders, the King stirred, a soft groan vibrated on the Alpha's chest. Pete felt it before his ears could even catch the sound. It was warm and sharp and it shot up on his spine causing him to shiver. Curling his body more, he hugged himself.

Vegas stirred again, pulling Pete closer toward his broad chest breathing deeply, searching for Pete's scent even deep in sleep. A warmth settled over Pete's shoulders. Whenever Pete thought of the way Vegas reveled in his scent - how the King rejected other pheromones and seeked only his even when he had fallen ill, it had made Pete's heart compress in his chest. Butterfly wings fluttering along with the rhythmic pounding of his heart.

Vegas didn't want Pete's scent to be washed away. It was evident with all the unscented soaps in his bath, and the absence of any perfume that would cover him.; along with making sure his pheromones lingered to every corner of the Palace walls. Vegas would take every chance he could to bury his face on Pete's neck. Much like he was doing in his sleep.

Pete held a sharp breath the moment he felt the warm lips of the King on his nape, grazing over tender skin. It made Pete shiver. It's as if Pete's scent made the Alpha feel safe, as if the King was a kid afraid to be left alone. His strong arms around Pete were chains, holding captive the salvation that existed with Pete. The comfort of that thought finally lulled Pete to sleep.

_______

Pete walked carefully up the elated slope dragging Macau by the wrist. His boots crushed over the thin ice, careful not to create any sound. But even if Pete moved with careful precision , Macau was loud. As if the Prince was stomping his feet over the melting snow as they jogged.

"You've got to move more quietly." Pete scolded though a whisp, his brown eyes darting from his left to the right. Their bodies were slouched while tall plants covered them. The sun was high above the trees, shadows were close to nothing. It would be difficult to rely on them. Pete listened to the forest, but its silence was deafening.

"Where are they?" Macau whispered, Pete didn't answer as he focused on the tiniest sound that came through the wind. Vegas was good at this, and he'd even teamed-up with Nop. How could Pete and Macau win this game of his?

Pete remembered how Vegas moved while hunting. He was quiet like a shadow, meticulous like a wolf, and for some odd reason, Pete felt like he was a prey hiding from its predator. He couldn't locate where the Alpha was. Pete grew up in the forest. He could sense even the slightest movement around him, But at the moment, the stillness of the woods seemed terrifying.

"Can you climb a tree?" Pete asked Macau, his eyes focused on the woods. He couldn't protect either of them on the ground because his main focus would be narrowed down to running. Pete needed to climb a tree, without getting noticed.